+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm subbing too! I'm also paranoid about choking. My DS is 6 months and has no teeth either. I've been giving him baby porridge for breakfast, yoghurt for morning tea and mashed veggies for dinner. There are lumps in the veggies and he's pretty good and chewing. He loves his food but still gags here and there! I just have to get more confident and give him some finger food.
    Nomsie I'd be interested in the information on gagging. Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my ds isnt quite 6mths old but i was talking to my mchn today and she said i can give DS a well cooked piece of steak! also steam some vege, offer whats on our plate make sure its of a thick "chip' size they can grap onto. make it easy on myself and join him in on our meals. Im looking at BLW, so no purees.
    I have those mesh feeders and i used to put fruit in it for DD, she used to suck the juice!
    Penne pasta, broccoli with the stalk, toast. also other great ideas here.
    I would be using breast milk instead of cows milk for the cereal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsrulz View Post
    What are your pancake recripes and egg ideas as I don't want to purée anymore
    Egg pancake - get a mini non stick fry pan and mix 1 egg , 1 chopped cherry tomato, chopped herbs ( I usually used basil or coriander) and a sprinkling of chia seeds - fry in frypan for 1 minute each side until cooked - cool and cut into strips - easy to hold, soft and very healthy ( protein/ iron/ vitamins) - I used whatever veggies I had on hand or dried herbs if I didn't have fresh , DS has been having this since he was 6 months old - he still does but now its 2 eggs and more fillings!

They don't need teeth to chew, their gums are very strong to bite and chew soft food, just make sure it's soft and they can hold it themselves - its honestly worth looking into BLW - read the book and it will change the way you feed your kids!

I make Jamie Oliver's pancake recipe - I use organic wholemeal flour, A2 milk and organic eggs and I add banana or a grated pear , cook then cut into strips ( I started letting him have a splash of real Maple Syrup after 1) my only advice is don't try blueberries - way to messy!!! ( they freeze well too!)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/e...kes-usa-stylie

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    I'm subbing too! I'm also paranoid about choking. My DS is 6 months and has no teeth either. I've been giving him baby porridge for breakfast, yoghurt for morning tea and mashed veggies for dinner. There are lumps in the veggies and he's pretty good and chewing. He loves his food but still gags here and there! I just have to get more confident and give him some finger food.
    Nomsie I'd be interested in the information on gagging. Thank you!
    Ok, so the difference between gagging and choking firstly: gagging is a safety mechanism that stops us from choking. The gag reflex is a retching motion that is triggered to get rid of food that is moving too close to the airway if it's too big to be swallowed.
    Choking happens when an airway becomes partially or fully blocked, so baby can't breathe.

In adults, the gagging reflex is triggered at the far back of our throats, very near our airway. So, when adults gag, choking is an immediate threat. But in babies around 6 months old, the gag reflex is much further forward in their mouths, making it a lot easier to trigger. Any offending food (or whatever baby has put in their mouth!) is a lot further away from the airpipes when a 6 month old gags compared to an adult. So when a baby gags, it doesn't necessarily mean that the food is too close to the airway and they are in immediate danger of choking.

The gag reflex is maybe one of the most important safety mechanisms babies have to protect them against choking. Once this reflex has been triggered several times, the baby learns not to put too much food in his mouth and not to pushbig chunks of food to the back of his throat. As he grows, the gag reflex moves further back in his mouth, making it harder to trigger (a big reason in starting whole foods earlier and skipping all the purees and being fed from a spoon- they learn how much is acceptable for themselves whilst the safety of the gag reflex is still far away from their airways.)

When your baby gags, remain calm- it's not a cause for concern. Be sure they are sitting upright if they are not already. Rub their back gently and watch them carefully, but let them work it out on their own. They may even vomit a little as they expel the food (A Little!!). Some babies just have extremely sensitive gag reflexes. If after several minutes they are still experiencing difficulties, by all means use one of your fingers to hook the food out of their mouths- but I must say it never came to that with my kids (although everyone is different).

Sorry, I know it's a bit of an essay.. once I get started talking about the benefits of things like BLW it's hard to stop..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

cheekychook  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you! That's all information I did not know. They are clever little things, aren't they! I'll have to start introducing finger food. I gave him some whole banana the other day and he sucked it into his mouth, I freaked out! I'll have to trust in his gag reflex!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great info thanks ladies keep the ideas coming