+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default If my baby is Prem will I still get to breastfeed?

I was just wondering if my baby is born early whether or not I will still be able to breast feed? Will they be too small or will my supply dry up before they are allowed out of nicu? I don't know a lot about breastfeeding and plan to start researching it but I do know that breastfeeding is something I really want to, mostly for the health benefits and the bonding time it will give me with my son. This may very well be my one and only child given the complications of this pregnancy and what it took to even get pregnant so I will be heart broken if I miss out on breastfeeding this bub.
    I am a high risk pregnancy with cervix issues, was in hospital at 21weeks due to funnelling cervix. I have been told I will be lucky if I make it full term. My goal right now is to reach 24 weeks (1 week to go! ) then 28 weeks and so on.
    Anyway sorry for the long post I hope I've put this in the right place! Thank u in advance xx

Edit - I'm so sorry I just realised I put this is in breathing issues I thought it was breast feeding issues! Mods please feel free to move this post
    Last edited by LittleGumnut; 15-06-2013 at 12:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    You should be able to breast feed eventually. First bub will most likely end up being tube feed, meanwhile you will need to express like crazy. If you put a lot of effort in you should be able to breast feed when bub is ready. At that age they are just too small and under developed and need help breathing and regulating their temperature to be taken out of their humidicribs, not to mention all the monitoring. It sounds scary and I don't mean to scare you but that is just how it is. hopefully your milk doesn't dry up, the more you express the more you will make. But not breast feeding from birth is a disadvantage when it comes to supply issues. Dd2 was only 6 weeks early and was in hospital for almost 3 weeks. I had supply issues and managed to feed until she was 9 weeks old then had to give up due to supply issues and medication issues. The medication was the main culprit. I needed it but was unsafe to take while breast feeding.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i feel for you! It took DH and i 7 years to concieve so i totally understand ur strong desire to BF, I was the same! This will also be our only bub! My bub decided to come at 35 weeks via crash c-section because oc a placental abruption!

Yes u will be able to breastfeed! At the beginning they will have to tube feed ur bub as their suck, swallow, breathe refkex will need to develop. During that time pump, pump, pump!!! My LO was tube fed EBM until her suck swallow breathe reflex was est, then it took 1 week to teach her how to BF!!

It's hard and time consuming but so worth it! As long as u pump (I suggests a hospital grade electric one!) you will not lose ur supply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the others. You should be able to BF. Breastmilk is great for prem or sick bubs in most cases. So, initially you'll need to express, but once bubs gets close to term bubs should ideally be able to feed from you. Expressing is hard work though, so take it one day at a time and count each day as a success. And don't expect large amounts of milk in the early days - 1ml a day might be all you get, but amazingly that's still fantastic. My ds was in special care (but only for 8 days) and I did a lot of expressing (he was tube fed initially). We had no issues with actual feeding as soon as he was ready and I BF him til 12 months .

I hope you get a lot closer to term than you can even imagine .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, you can still breast feed

As previous posters have mentioned, if your baby is too young to breast feed then you will have to express round the clock to build up your supply. Your baby will be tube fed your expressed milk until your baby can latch onto the breast & feed properly.

I had a 31 weeker and we used to try popping him onto my breast each day but it was a few weeks until he got the hang of feeding.

If you have a premmie, this will mean long hours spent at the hospital each day. You'll be able to get advice & support from the LC & midwives while you are there, who I found were very supportive with breast feeding tips & advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes you should. I too had a 31 weeker and went on to breastfeed him (still am actually). It's quite a journey and for us it involved a heck of a lot of pumping and patience but as Degrassi said, you will have a lot of support while at the hospital.

The ABA have a booklet about feeding prems that has info and other peoples stories in it. It may be worth a look?
    http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/cata...premature-baby

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy - I hope that bub stays put for as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also forgot to mention do lots and lots of Kangaroo Cuddles!! Kangaroo cuddles are not only great for your milk coming in but for bonding as well! I remember walking back to my room after my second kangaroo cuddle when she was first in Special Care and I could feel my milk come in as I was walking, it was literally dripping!!

I remember feeling so helpless when bub was in Special care but i figured if i couldnt do anythibg else I could make sure my baby got my breast milk so i made it my job to make sure she did!

Good luck with ur PG!!