+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Royal North Shore (Public) in Sydney - what should I do?

Hi all,

I just found out that my wife is a month pregnant with our first child. The Royal North Shore Public hospital is near our place but I'm not entirely sure if it's too early to go there. What should I find out?

Sorry, still a bit lost at this stage. Appreciate any response.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Congrats on your wife's pregnancy!

4 weeks is early days. The first step is to see your GP to confirm the pregancy. Once confirmed your GP (or an Obstetrician if you chose to go private) can give you a 12 week scan to confirm
    the pregancy is viable and that there are no abnormalities. From there you can look into hospitals.

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer but I wouldn't be doing much until your 12 week scan results are positive.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you are going public your GP will book you into the hospital once you confirm that's where you want to go, it doesn't matter how many weeks you are. No money is lost booking public if you loose the pregnancy so book in whenever you'd like.

The first step is to go to your GP and get a blood test to confirm and then go from there. Your GP will map it all out for you.

I am only 6 weeks and am already booked into my OB and private hospital. The booking fee is refunded if we loose the baby so I didn't see a problem with booking in early. There is no booking fee when you go public.

We lost our daughter at 20 weeks last year, so for me there is no 'safe' period and being as organized as possible is what makes me feel better and a bit more in control. Just go with what you feel you need to do and is best for you. When you go public, booking into hospital isn't too much of an issue as the hospital you are zoned to cannot refuse you, even if you don't book in until 30 weeks. If you live nearby this hospital then you are most likely zoned to it. It is when you want to try to get into a hospital that you are not zoned to that booking in early becomes an issue. I am not sure if Sydney is the same, but right now in Melbourne, unless you are high-risk you can only get into the hospital you are zoned to.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 15-06-2013 at 09:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also just remembered from my last experience going public that booking in as early as possible is best if you are hoping to be booked into a certain kind of care program. My hospital had mid-wife led care where you see the same midwife through your whole pregnancy and are guaranteed one of four midwives at your birth (great for continuity of care). I was too late booking in (around 10 weeks) and this option was already gone by that time because so many had booked in before me. So it is best to book in early if there are options you'd like to have a choice with. You can't go through these next weeks thinking something will go wrong.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 15-06-2013 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just call rnsh and speak to the antenatal admissions clinic. They will take your details and send out forms.

It's not too early to book in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice. My wife had the first chat with her GP just a few days ago and will see her again in 2 weeks. Will discuss this with the GP and will also call rnsh. Exciting times