+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Couple of questions - shallow latch and length of sleep

Quick back ground: DD was born 6 weeks early and latched on first attempt, however due to the amount of energy it took for her to feed she would often fall asleep before getting a full feed, so was often tube fed (either full feeds if she wouldn't latch herself, or just top ups).

Often DD will still fall asleep during feeds, so to make sure she gets more what I do is feed her when she demands until she falls asleep and foot tickling etc. Won't wake her, then I'll change her to really wake her up, and then feed her from the same breast again to try and empty it

Couple of things -

First thing, I'm getting blanched nipples during feeding and I think it's due to a shallow latch. DD definitely has the suck strength I simply don't think her little mouth is big enough for her to take in enough boob. Is this a possibility? Should she grow out of it? I'm pretty sure positioning is fine, but I am planning on getting a LC to confirm that for me. Another possibility I was considering is that she still has a nasty ulcer on the roof of her mouth from a recent rash, could she not be taking enough in on purpose to avoid hurting herself?

After feeds DD falls asleep very easily, and if left on my chest or put on DH's chest will sleep for 3-4 hours. However if she is put in her crib she will wake up in 5-10 minutes time demanding again. Do you think she is getting enough milk? Is this just a settling issue?

She is putting on weight (very slowly) and most if not all nappies are wet, so I'm not worried about starving her, I'm worried about losing my supply before I'm ready to.

I try to express after day time feeds to keep the supply up, but I'm worried about emptying my breast and DD waking up 5 minutes later for another go, so it doesn't always happen.

Sent from my doodad on the whatsimagiggy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has bub been checked for a tongue tie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just on the waking up when put in her crib, my first thought is that you have taken her from this warm, safe and secure environment on mum and dads chest, where she can hear your heartbeat just like in the womb, and put her in a different environment that she doesn't recognise so she wakes up looking not for more milk, but to be put back onto your chest.
    The LC is a good idea as without seeing baby feed it is hard to know if her latch is shallow or if your nipples are just that way or as pp said, she may have a slight tongue tie. Best of luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have thought they would have picked up tongue tie at the hospital

Sent from my doodad on the whatsimagiggy

Thanks
    Reviews
    My five week old sleeps well in our arms, but also wakes up when i put him in his bed. Sometimes it is wind, he brings it up when i pick him up, give him a little top up and put him back down. His first instinct everytime he wakes up whether it is ten mins or three hours is to look and cry for a feed.
    A lactation consultant is definitely a good idea, if only to put your mind at rest that bub is latched properly and getting enough milk.
    My bub also falls asleep on boob before my breast is empty. I just do the same as you. Tickle feet, ear, change nappy etc
    Laying them on the floor for a minute or two wakes them up enough to keep feeding too.
    Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My five week old sleeps well in our arms, but also wakes up when i put him in his bed. Sometimes it is wind, he brings it up when i pick him up, give him a little top up and put him back down. His first instinct everytime he wakes up whether it is ten mins or three hours is to look and cry for a feed.
    A lactation consultant is definitely a good idea, if only to put your mind at rest that bub is latched properly and getting enough milk.
    My bub also falls asleep on boob before my breast is empty. I just do the same as you. Tickle feet, ear, change nappy etc
    Laying them on the floor for a minute or two wakes them up enough to keep feeding too.
    Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app