+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with mummaOJ.

Bf and schedule feeding are never to be combined under 12wks. Just let bub live on your boob. As long as bub isn't LOSING weight, 5-6 wet nappies a day, then its fine.

Some babies just don't gain as quickly.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Stressing about your baby gaining weight is only going to cause more problems for the OP's supply. My son took a bit longer to regain his birth weight .. But the midwife had me so stressed out about it, I was constantly tense & could barely express anything... I was second guessing myself all the time. As long as the baby isn't losing anymore weight, is having enough wet nappies, then it isn't cause for alarm... The moment I stopped worrying about his weight, I was more relaxed & was able to express 100 ml in less than 30 mins to top him up during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    The reason i ask is because it is normal for bubs to lose weight from birth to discharge. Sometimes even as much as 10%. They are "allowed" two weeks to regain it.

Also if your goal is to breastfeed do not do formula top ups without speaking with a lactation consultant first and trying all other options. Breastfeeding is a supply/demand thing. If you introduce formula at this early stage it can really affect your supply. Even introducing a bottle with expressed milk in it is not usually recommended that early as it can cause them to have a bottle preference (you can try cupping or syringe feeding the EBM).

As for not settling in her bassinet that is completely normal and doesn't necessarily mean its because she is hungry. She has spent the last 9 months inside you in this safe environment. She is now out in the big wide world.

I am no expert but setting a strict feeding routine of 3 hours seems too long. DS fed two hour if not 1.5 hrly at that age. So if you think she is showing signs of wanting a feed, then offer it no matter if it has been three hours or not.

I once read someone's motto - if in doubt whip them out.

With regards to feeling like you have been starving her, is she having plenty of wet nappies (5-6 disposables I think it is, per day), fontanelle is not sunken? If yes then she is probably fine.

This is such a emotional time, the last thing you need is a MCHN making you feel horrible. You will learn in time that they don't always know best about YOUR baby and to take what advice works for you and you feel comfortable with and leave the rest.
    Excellent response!! I completely agree with 2 hourly feeding, from my experience and friends this is 'normal'.

Make sure you are resting, not stressing and drinking lots of water. Go easy on yourself, a gain is a gain!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrissieGal2013 For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (14-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been the same with all 4 of my baby's. Follow the good advice here about more frequent feeding, no schedule. with my 2nd I was told not to feed within 2hrs of a feed and that resulted in an upset baby and mum. I feel I got it right with my last, I fed her when I thought she wanted to (every 1hr to 2hrs, with some longer gaps 3 to 4 hrs but not always at night) and her weight was still slow but steady. She averaged 50 gms a week and mostly followed her curve on the percentile graph. But I suggest getting a breast feeding (google it, i think its from WHO) weight graph so you don't get stressed out at being in the bottom percentile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We've mostly followed the routine but fed her when she was hungry. It has actually been harder to wake her for feeds than stretch her out longer, but she's always slept well.

The mchn has been really good and didn't push the formula at all... Well, she didn't yesterday. We'll see how it goes if she hasn't put on ' enough' weight today.

As I think I said, she is a lactation consultant as well so we wanted to try her plan first. I realise weight gain isn't the most important thing, she seems very happy and has wet diapers, but weight gain does need to count for something too.

Fingers crossed that she's gained some today because I don't think I would have dh's support to not give her formula top ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You weighed her yesterday, and again today? Yes, weight gain matters but weight loss should be the only thing of concern. My 15 month old is as heavy as my friends 6 month old - all people are different, as long as they don't drop weight there shouldn't be cause for alarm. Relax, eat well, drink lots of water and get as much sleep as possible, all will help!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

angelini  (14-06-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She put on 40g in 24 hours so my poor attachment was obviously the problem.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angelini For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    She put on 40g in 24 hours so my poor attachment was obviously the problem.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support
    That's awesome. You must be feel so much better. Yay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay, go baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best advice I got given by our paedtrician. And lactation consultant "don't get caught up in numbers!"
    As long as bubs is putting on weight and not losing it. Also I was told by LC that priority is head circumference, length theb weight. My daughter is 3rd percentile and only gains 15-20g a day but she's putting on weight :-) sine weeks they may have grown taller rather than put on weight. Also consider your genes. My daughter looks like she will be tall and skinny like my husband!