+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Only 50g in 6 days

We had our 2 week MCHN apponitment and found Vesper's only gained 50g in 6 days. My attachment has been bad since the weekend, I could feel it wasn't right, and apparently that's why she's feeding so often and for so long. While my milk is in, MCHN doesn't think it's fully come in yet, hence no engorged feelings.

We've worked on attachment and I feel a lot better but we're in a strict 3 hour, 15 minutes each side plus expressing into a bottle for dh to give after that feeding, schedule for 24 hours and see her again tomorrow to see how much weight she's gained.

I felt so good about breastfeeding and now I just feel horrible. The mchn was talking about needing formula top ups over the weekend but I'm not happy to do that. I'd rather keep up the schedule as long as we need to.

She's supposed to go to sleep after each feed so she doesn't waste any energy but she just dozed for two hours and has finally fallen asleep. Mchn said that's probably why she won't sleep in her bassinet, too, since she's too hungry too settle.

I don't really have a question, just needed to feel sorry for myself a little - I feel like I've been starving her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    To clarify dd is 2 weeks old? The 50g gain is it based on the same set of scales in the same clothes (or preferably naked)?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason i ask is because it is normal for bubs to lose weight from birth to discharge. Sometimes even as much as 10%. They are "allowed" two weeks to regain it.

Also if your goal is to breastfeed do not do formula top ups without speaking with a lactation consultant first and trying all other options. Breastfeeding is a supply/demand thing. If you introduce formula at this early stage it can really affect your supply. Even introducing a bottle with expressed milk in it is not usually recommended that early as it can cause them to have a bottle preference (you can try cupping or syringe feeding the EBM).

As for not settling in her bassinet that is completely normal and doesn't necessarily mean its because she is hungry. She has spent the last 9 months inside you in this safe environment. She is now out in the big wide world.

I am no expert but setting a strict feeding routine of 3 hours seems too long. DS fed two hour if not 1.5 hrly at that age. So if you think she is showing signs of wanting a feed, then offer it no matter if it has been three hours or not.

I once read someone's motto - if in doubt whip them out.

With regards to feeling like you have been starving her, is she having plenty of wet nappies (5-6 disposables I think it is, per day), fontanelle is not sunken? If yes then she is probably fine.

This is such a emotional time, the last thing you need is a MCHN making you feel horrible. You will learn in time that they don't always know best about YOUR baby and to take what advice works for you and you feel comfortable with and leave the rest.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-06-2013),HowCrazyCool  (13-06-2013),Mathermy  (14-06-2013),michellek  (13-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),Rutabaga  (13-06-2013),VicPark  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs!!! Drink heaps of water, eat porridge for breakfast and eat plenty of healthy fats (nuts, avocado, fish etc) to chub your baby up. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Schedule and breast feeding are two words I don't think belong together, especially in the early days. To properly establish breast feeding I believe in demand feeding. I have demand fed both my children, and found they would feed every 90min, sometimes more during a growth spurt. So many MCHN put babies on formula so early without giving breast milk a chance. If you hadn't weighed your baby would you have thought there was an issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 3 weeks old and hadn't regained her birth weight, I was crushed as I was finding breastfeeding really difficult. I had to wake DD up for a feed every 2 hours through the day and over 3 days she put on 400g! I have porridge every morning and make sure I am eating well through the day so my milk is good! Stick with it, it gets easier!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS wasn't even back to birth weight (4.4kg) at 2 weeks. It can be pretty normal, takes some bubs a while to adjust to life on the outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest just feeding your baby as often and for as long as she wants. If there are enough wet nappies, and she is not obviously distressed, she is probably fine.

Not sleeping in her bassinet is not an sign she is not getting enough milk, it is just a sign she doesn't like sleeping in her bassinet yet.

Please don't doubt yourself too much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is two weeks and hasn't quite regained her birth weight. The mchn is a lactation consultant as well and was really supportive of getting breastfeeding sorted without formula.

The first three hours went fine but the second she started crying about 30 minutes after I put her down so we had another little feed and had to feed her again now at 2.5 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The same thing happened to me. My DS wasn't getting enough milk from me. I was feeding 2.5 hourly for an hour, then expressing for half an hour and the having a little break before I had to do it all again. It was exhausting but I really didn't want to introduce formula. In the end all my hard work didn't pay off, I ended up putting him on formula tops up. He just took off. I still breastfeed and give him top ups, he's now 6 months old.

I'm still glad I tried to express and top up with ebm because I feel like I did everything I could before using formula.

I hope you don't need top ups but don't beat yourself up if you do. It'll all be ok!