+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you have a scan at a private place it doesn't matter what your risk is, you don't get it all back because part of the cost is paying for the fact that it's private - part of the payment goes toward paying staff etc.

If you have a scan in a public place, it'll be bulk billed. I am low risk but because my scan was at a public hospital, it was completely covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherbetlemon View Post
    When I queried the bill for the bloods with my obs office (didn't have to pay for this last time) they told me this was because my obstetrician didn't tick the bulk bill box on the blood request form and that in future if I wanted him to bulk bill anything I would have to ask. Bloods were done by S&N in Brisbane. Wish I'd looked more carefully at the form as I would have ticked it myself!
    Whether or not they bulk bill is up to the private practice, not the referring obstetrician. If every obstetrician ticked it for every patient the practice would be broke within a day. It is definitely their call on who they bulk bill (like some will do HCC holders, others no one)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually now that I think about it when I got medicare rebate last time it may have been for seeing the Ob for the test results straight after the scan. Public is the way to go though if you want to save money but I've heard from women at other public hospitals that it's not routinely offered if you're under 35 so in that case you'd have to get it done privately anyway. I guess just shop around.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scans for NT are $211 with about a $70 Medicare rebate and bloods are free as long as you sign the form for medicare. This is Adelaide/ mt Barker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately our public hospital here doesn't provide scans before 20 weeks even though I'm in their midwife-care program. If you want a scan before 20 weeks you have to get it privately. So I called around and found somewhere that does it for $150 - much better than $360 at the first place!