+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I get mine for free now as its deemed medically necessary I've had one child with a genetic disorder even though it was a very rare case and very unlikely to happen again they will still screen me.

I was told recently Medicare don't see it as a necessary scan for everyone so unless you meet a certain criteria you should be charged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    huh... mine was public in SA, through a clinic (not hospital), and it was covered under medicare. I fully expected to pay for it, but that wasn't the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going public, all my appts are through the midwives at the hospital but they send you to a private scan place for your scans anyway because the X-ray department at the hospital is always booked with other things. If there's an option to send you somewhere else, they will.
    The nuchal translucency scan isn't bulk billed in most places because its an optional scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    Mine was all free through my public hospital this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I went private (initially) so scan cost over $200 with a small amount back from medicare. I'm in Brisbane. Unless they've changed the rules it should still be covered by medicare if you're under 35 (mine was).
    If I can't get into the midwife program here ill be doing shared care with my GP. One of the things the place told me on Tuesday is your only covered if your over 35. Under 35 isn't high enough risk apparently (I'm 33)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In qld, fully public mine cost me $90 for the scan and the bloods were free / bulk billed.

I couldn't get any rebate for my scan from Medicare because I'm not high risk category for nt

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Sydney and was bulk billed for both this pregnancy and my last.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All free, through the public hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    I was talking to the place ill be going through for my NT scan the other day, for the scan itself it is going to cost $120 (cheaper than the place my DP was referred to when she was pregnant) apparently for it to be covered by Medicare you need to be in the higher risk. For me to get it covered by Medicare I had to have a sibling with Downs or be over 35. I have an aunt with downs, but not closely related enough to increase the risk. As for my bloods, ill be checking on costs tomorrow when I see my GP.
    Interesting Keerah - I'm 41yo and my Dr already said I fall into the high-risk group simply because of my age and medical history. I'm going to ring the centre and ask.

Update: I rang and asked. The company said Medicare don't pay anything for nuchal trans scans or bloods and that it's simply not possible to be bulk-billed under any circumstances!
    Last edited by Twocam; 14-06-2013 at 08:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My scan cost $180. I got $101 back from medicare. My bloods are $101.45. Unsure how much I will get back from medicare for those yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I paid $240 for the scan and $80 for the consultation fee with the Dr at the scanning place who gave us the results 10 mins after the scan. Not sure how much of this I will get back from Medicare as it's been lodged electronically and is not on the receipt. Pretty sure it would be something though or they wouldn't have bothered lodging it. I'm 37 by the way. In addition I paid $172 for the bloods. I will get $73 back from Medicare. When I queried the bill for the bloods with my obs office (didn't have to pay for this last time) they told me this was because my obstetrician didn't tick the bulk bill box on the blood request form and that in future if I wanted him to bulk bill anything I would have to ask. Bloods were done by S&N in Brisbane. Wish I'd looked more carefully at the form as I would have ticked it myself!