+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much will your 12 week NF scan and bloods cost?

Holey moley - just found out the 12 week nuchal fold scan & bloods are going to cost $360 here in Canberra. How about elsewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on the central coast NSW & mine cost me $220 for the scan & $80 for the blood test (separate places)

Thanks
    Reviews
    WOW!! Why aren't these tests covered under medicare? We're going through our first cycle of TTC. What are expenses are there for tests/scans etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you rang around to all places if there are more available in Canberra? I've been bulk billed for mine with all 4 of my daughters. That's on the Gold Coast.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Mum2b87  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    WOW!! Why aren't these tests covered under medicare? We're going through our first cycle of TTC. What are expenses are there for tests/scans etc?
    I think the NT isn't covered in some places because its not a "medically necessary test" and also because the sonographers has to have extra qualifications to be able to do the scan (therefore extra costs for the private practice)

if you go public, then all appointments, blood tests and scans performed at the hospital are covered under Medicare. The only thing you'd be out of pocket for is the gp visit to get a referral to the hospital, the nt scan and most likely a dating scan.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Mum2b87  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was talking to the place ill be going through for my NT scan the other day, for the scan itself it is going to cost $120 (cheaper than the place my DP was referred to when she was pregnant) apparently for it to be covered by Medicare you need to be in the higher risk. For me to get it covered by Medicare I had to have a sibling with Downs or be over 35. I have an aunt with downs, but not closely related enough to increase the risk. As for my bloods, ill be checking on costs tomorrow when I see my GP.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twocam View Post
    Holey moley - just found out the 12 week nuchal fold scan & bloods are going to cost $360 here in Canberra. How about elsewhere?
    Far out!
    I cant remember exactly, but I think mine that were done last year here in WA cost me something like $180...that was for the scan. The bloods were free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was all free through my public hospital this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I went private (initially) so scan cost over $200 with a small amount back from medicare. I'm in Brisbane. Unless they've changed the rules it should still be covered by medicare if you're under 35 (mine was).
    Last edited by Noty; 13-06-2013 at 19:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will be going public, none of the hospitals around here are public and the privat doesn't do births any more..Just completey shocked in how much the tests cost when they seem pretty run of the mill

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    I was talking to the place ill be going through for my NT scan the other day, for the scan itself it is going to cost $120 (cheaper than the place my DP was referred to when she was pregnant) apparently for it to be covered by Medicare you need to be in the higher risk. For me to get it covered by Medicare I had to have a sibling with Downs or be over 35. I have an aunt with downs, but not closely related enough to increase the risk. As for my bloods, ill be checking on costs tomorrow when I see my GP.
    That's right you just made me remember why my scans were bulk billed because I was classed as high risk.