+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our five and a half year old daughter died from an asthma attack in May last year. Our little boy was nineteen months old at the time. From the time Sian passed away, we have told Dane that Sian got very sick and her heart stopped and she died (our SIDS counsellor said it's very important to use the word 'died'). We have said that she died and went to heaven and that God is looking after her. We have Sian's ashes in our garden and Dane goes out to "Bup's Garden" (he's always called her Bup). Eventually we will need to explain cremation to him, but we'll do that when he asks more questions.
    Just today I went to a funeral and I told Dane that the man had died and gone to heaven, and he said to me, "Peter in heaven, Bup, God". I think he understood that Peter was now with Sian. It's such a hard thing to explain to a little person.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a hard situation. My dd was 3yrs when I had our 2nd still born, so was very aware that I was pregnant, she was going to be a big sister etc. We explained that her little sister was very sick and the drs couldn't fix her and she died. The truth. I explain that in our family we believe in heaven and believe that her sister is with God (and the dinosaurs and all the other people and animals who have died) but other families don't belive in that and that's ok. Unfortunately death is something children are going to have face in life, no matter what age they are, and the more honest you are, the better chance of understanding and preventing fear you can provide. Death is not something that can be sugar coated. When someone dies children, children look to their parents to provide answers and support, be honest, honesty will not hurt or harm them, the pretending like it didn't happen or not including them it what causes the harm later in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's an old episode of sesame Street (83, 84?) Where Mr. Cooper dies. I think they do a great job of explaining it to Big Bird.

Sent from my doodad on the whatsimagiggy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    These posts are sad. Sorry for all ur losses.

Death hasnt come up yet as dd is only 2.5 but ill be telling her what i believe. That they are gone for now, are not in pain and are safe in Gods memory but we will see them again one day

Its hard as none of us accept death very well, even as adults

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We haven't had to cross this bridge yet. I started a thread a few weeks/months ago on pretty much the same topic. I would search and give you a link but my connection is so slow it keeps timing out of the search.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you should just tell them the truth but in a way they will understand it. It's hard though. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh siansmum and Melissa - my heart breaks for you both

From advice on here we'll tell DD in a way she'll understand. Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was only just 3 when we lost DH Nanna and then about 3.5 when we had to have our dog put down. We told her the truth both times - that they were very sick and couldn't better, they were in heaven now and one day we'd get to see them again. Loosing Nanna before out dog made it easier for her cause she believes Nanna is looking after Hendrix in heaven and playing with him and buying him new toys ect. Sometimes she will ask if they are going come back again, we just explain that there is no way for them to get out of heaven and although they're better in heaven they would be very sick again if they were able to come back.