+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd say something like "we aren't doing a party this year, but I've told DS I'll take him to the play centre so that his day is a bit special. We'll be there from ?am, feel free to join us if you aren't busy..."
    ..and, for what it's worth, I think it's more than fine to do that :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's fine.

I would just mention it casually, let them know it's cool if they want to come, cool if they don't... that it's not a party, so no presents, no you paying for everyone... it's just a get-together that happens to be on his birthday if they want to show up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You know if I knew you had a child and you were taking him there for his bday and you invited other people with kids I would assume you would be paying tbh. Because that's what people usually do for birthdays..

However if you just said you were taking him down for a play and invited me to come I would obviously assume I would pay for my child...

Tbh I wouldn't mention about the birthday as you may possibly find people will get confused and think you are paying if you mention a birthday...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally normal. As others have said, I'd just do it casually rather than via an actual invitation.

We've been invited to plenty of those kind of things. "We're planning on taking X here on the day, and you're welcome to join us if you'd like a play date/ day out too." Never any expectation that it is being 'hosted' or paid for - especially if you're doing a party anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly I would do one or the other. Why not take the three sleepover kids to the play centre then home? Or just do sleepover? Otherwise it is the same as a party IMO, I would definitely take a gift if it were me. It kind of sounds like you want a party without having to pay for it.
    If you really want to do the play centre I would ask one or two kids to come with and shout them.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Honestly I would do one or the other. Why not take the three sleepover kids to the play centre then home? Or just do sleepover? Otherwise it is the same as a party IMO, I would definitely take a gift if it were me. It kind of sounds like you want a party without having to pay for it.
    If you really want to do the play centre I would ask one or two kids to come with and shout them.
    We were going to take the 3 kids to the playcentre and pay for them but we figured the movies and sleepover were going to be enough...both money wise and stimulation wise. I know kids get sick of eachother quickly so I dont want to have them together for tooo long......definitely learnt that lesson over the years. Plus there are some kids that I know he would invite to celebrate with him if he could, so I feel like telling them to come for a play is a fair way of including them without costing me an arm and a leg.

Last year he had 50 invitations for kids....hence me not wanting to pay for everyone again We paid for an indoor playcentre all to ourselves after hours and we put on all the food and drinks and cake etc. .....massively scaling it down this year haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (14-06-2013)