+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I really need help cause this isn't working!!

I need help to get my 8.5 month old to self settle cause the camp it out method I'm doing isn't working and its exhausting for me cause she won't give in and I can be sitting in her room for up to 2hrs!!!!
    She won't self settle at all and as soon as I stand over the cot with her in my arms she starts crying cause she knows she's going in there.
    I co-sleep with her at night which I will eventually be weaning her from but just starting with the days for now. She goes to family day care twice a week and they also have a lot of trouble getting her to sleep so I really want this to work so she has the proper amount of sleep while there!
    I am just so exhausted, I feel like crying its such a long process to get her to sleep each and every day!
    I'm currently breastfeeding her full time even 2- 3 times a night.
    She won't feed to sleep unless I'm laying with her (so this isn't good for day naps!)
    I need some ideas on to make her cot cosy so she wants to be in there and tips on a routine to follow to get her to self settle. Please any help :😭😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you, to be tiered and sleepy makes everything seem so difficult!
    At 8.5 months DD was having 2 to 3 day naps in a rocker usually in the living room when I'd sit on the couch so she should see me. She's now 14 months and transitioned to the cot for day naps about 2 months ago.
    I used to have to rock and sing her to sleep in the evening but she's now been self settling in her cot on her own, she did that on her own when she was ready, so Im just letting you know that they do eventually self settle just on their own time.
    What have you tried?
    Also DD went through a phase where she would cry if I put her in the cot like your bubba she'd feel me hovering her over the cot and she's wake up and cry as I was placing her down, I found loosely wrapping her in blankets helped as she would maintain that warmth and wouldn't realise I was transferring her, also I'd rock her till she was asleep then sit on the couch and watch tv or what not for 20-30 min to allow her to go into a deeper sleep, that's if you still want to keep on rocking her...
    Hope things improve soon for you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I feel for you, to be tiered and sleepy makes everything seem so difficult!
    At 8.5 months DD was having 2 to 3 day naps in a rocker usually in the living room when I'd sit on the couch so she should see me. She's now 14 months and transitioned to the cot for day naps about 2 months ago.
    I used to have to rock and sing her to sleep in the evening but she's now been self settling in her cot on her own, she did that on her own when she was ready, so Im just letting you know that they do eventually self settle just on their own time.
    What have you tried?
    Also DD went through a phase where she would cry if I put her in the cot like your bubba she'd feel me hovering her over the cot and she's wake up and cry as I was placing her down, I found loosely wrapping her in blankets helped as she would maintain that warmth and wouldn't realise I was transferring her, also I'd rock her till she was asleep then sit on the couch and watch tv or what not for 20-30 min to allow her to go into a deeper sleep, that's if you still want to keep on rocking her...
    Hope things improve soon for you!
    Thanks for your reply. I've trying lots of things but the only thing she will fall asleep is if I lay with her. I can't do that every day - especially while she is at care 2 days a week! She's lucky to have 1.5hrs all day from waking at 7am till 4pm cause she just fights the family day care mum heaps and not only do I feel bad for the family day care mum but I feel bad that she isn't getting the required sleep she should be there!
    I've tried rocking, sitting next to her cot in her room which she eventually calms down from crying then talks to herself for a bit then back to crying and I can be sitting there for ages even when she is clearly struggling to stay awake. I've tried shhhhing and patting it will only work if she is completely exhausted. I've tried controlled crying but she gets very worked up and then starts screaming.
    😫

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're def in a though spot, have you tried leaving the room? I dont know if 8.5months is too young but with my DD I know if I stay in the room she'll sit up and want to interact and will even start crying but as soon as I leave and close the door... not a pip. Also I'm not much of an advocate for CC I'm more of a 'do what works for you' and 'what your baby is ready for' that said in a couple of occasions Ive had to leave her to cry it out (for my own sanity) and I found this link useful:
    http://www.babble.com/baby/no-more-b...-baby-cries-1/
    Understanding why she was crying helped me understand that she was just overtired and there was absolutely nothing else I could do but leave her to let it out... a bit like when we would get into a rage... we need to let it out somehow.
    Does your bubba gets to that stage where she's overtired and squirmy and you can tell she doesn't know what to do with herself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes she does get very overtired because she fights it, unless I lay down with her.
    I will have a look at the link now.
    I also am a "do what works" person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear, has she always been put to sleep with you laying down with her? Also when did she start day care? It could be separation anxiety. Maybe try to change her routine, like if she's due for a nap go out for a walk and pop her in the pram or a drive for a few days to break it up and get her used to sleeping any other way... then tackle the issue at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She was about 2 months old when we started co-sleeping and then it just evolved from there. I use to breast feed her to sleep before then and put her in her cot and she was fine. It my own fault because she using me as comfort to sleep. I suppose being exhausted I just found it easier to put her in bed with me! Lol
    She started care at 6 months but seems to be getting worse and worse to get to sleep for them as well.