+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel tips to phuket

Im heading to phuket in a few weeks and just looking for some advice about flying, dos and donts ect. We get on the plane 9pm at night get to singapore roughly 3am then catch a plane at 6am to get to phuket at 9am. When we leave its 9am in the morning. was thinking of buying maybe an ipad or tablet for the trip as we r flying tiger and they have no entertainment but in saying that when we fly over it will be night when i usually sleep so im hoping to sleep but have never flown before so im a bit nervous. we also plan on not taking luggage just hand luggage (and we will buy most things over there) i have a bit of an idea of what to take and amounts but any more advice. When over there what are some great places to go to and not to go to??? things we should/shouldnt buy??? Not too sure about taking our phones over as id like to buy a waterproof camera but would love to still have internet. did some research about turning off roaming and waiting for wifi, i have viber tho just have to make sure my mum has it too. Ill probly think of some more things but for now my brain needs a rest lol TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've been to Phuket a few times. Are you travelling with kids? I assume not if you are taking no luggage....

Anyway - for the plane - I would certainly have something to do. Even if its a good book or two. As for clothes - depends on what size etc you are - they cater to the tiny. I would definately be taking enough underwear etc - as that is harder to buy. If you are due your period - take your own stuff - you cant get certain items readily. Take two pairs of bathers - they take ages to dry in the humidity.

Shopping is fab - designer fake central. Most of the handbag shops have "secret" rooms hidden in the back where the better stuff is - always ask to see the better stuff. If you DH wears suits - it is a great place to have them made - mines gets a wool suit and two pairs of pants for about $300 - really beautifully made.

Do one of the boat tours of Phi Phi islands. Go to the Big Buddha. Ride an elephant. Eat out and sit around the pool!

Feel free to PM me if youd like to ask any questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the input. no kids its our honey moon hehe a friend said there would be plenty of clothes for me but shoes i would find it difficult (size 8 shoe 8/10 clothes) underwear was on my list along with toothbrush/toothpaste and pads. we are going with a group of friends (there are a couple of couples) def wana ride an elephant, go to where they made "the beach" movie, see some unusual night life and the general laze around the pool and shop shop shop. I think its all pretty much sorted but already talking to friends that have gone over theres always something new. This time next week ill be thinking next time next week we will be in phuket lol if that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely go to Maya Bay (Phi Phi Islands, where the beach was made) but try to get one of the early morning trips over there as it gets packed later in the day. We used Simba tours, an Australian owned company, they have all new speedboats and just feel way safer than the over crowded Thai boats. They're a bit more expensive but I think it's worth it.

Regarding clothes, I was an AU size 10 and was buying XL in most things. Sizing is inconsistent so try everything on, I bought a few XL's which were too small!

Also don't be afraid to walk away if you can't get the price you want. I can guarantee 100% that you'll see the same product somewhere else so don't think you'll miss out. Have a joke with the stall owners and they seem to give you better prices.

There are supermarkets everywhere that have a lot of brands we're familiar with for snacks, shampoo / conditioner / sunscreen, so don't rely on hotel convenience stores as they're too expensive.

If you stay in Patong and are missing western food, go to Karlsson's steakhouse, it is down a lane way between Banglar Rd and McDonalds on the Main Street. It's a yum restaurant and you can escape the smell of Patong there a little bit :-)

Most of all, enjoy yourself!! Writing all of this makes me want to go back :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleep on the plane and stay up all day on the day you get there. You should be fine with a good book and some magazines.
    Take your phone and turn data and roaming off and then use wifi, you will find it is available although can be slow. Be careful with local water and ice, ice with a hole through it has been made in a factory and is 'safe'. Take your own bag to the markets to put things in, they give you different coloured shopping bags depending on how easy you are to haggle with so all of the other stall holders know if you are easy or not (!) I am a total push over though DH drives a hard bargain and then throws in a US dollar or two if they reallllyyy haggle with him!
    Take in Thailand - It is different, fun and full of surprises. Enjoy the food and the cocktails - and a massage or two!
    I haven't and wouldn't ride an elephant, although we do not support any tourism activities that involve animals like that (heard too many terrible things that happen in the training of them).

Have fun!!

PS: Carry on is fine, especially when you are travelling somewhere cheap and warm, we just went to Iceland for five days with a four month old and only carry on!