+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Only latching onto nipple

Hi all,

My dd is two weeks old and up until now, breastfeeding has been really easy for us. She was latching on beautifully with a bit of assistance from the very beginning then took over and would latch on well if I got her mouth to my nipple.

This weekend, so about four days ago, she started taking less areola into her mouth but it didn't hurt so I didn't mind; I could still hear her sucking and swallowing with no problem so didn't worry. About the same time she started taking more time to latch on, bouncing her head on and off my nipple, licking it, etc, but then attaching.

Now she is taking even less areola and almost only nipple and it's getting quite painful. She won't let me help latch anymore, she just fusses if I try.

Any ideas on what I can do to correct her attachment, or is it just something I need to get used to?!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I would persist with breaking the seal every time she doesn't latch properly. Even if it means she fusses I think it's worth it for both of you- you will end up with very sore nipples if she keeps up with the poor attachment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

oozzle  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, Nomsie. I started this morning and she's letting me help with her attachment again. Fingers crossed it keeps working for us!

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Yep, back to basics with attachment. If it starts to hurt don't forget to try a different position (like football hold).

I used to squash my nipple down a bit, kind of like when you hold a hamburger and squash it down so it fits into your mouth. Make sure your baby's mouth/nose and squashed down areola are all lined up though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's how I was helping with her attachment, Bec, she was fighting me like crazy but it's going better again now. I didn't realise everything had to be lined up, though, that's so good to know. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it starts to hurt when she turns her head a bit so I'll be aware of that now!