+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    Your plans sound like how DH & I's went. I paid for all my bridal party outfits ( though I had a tiny bridal party!), we didn't mention or want any gifts or wishing wells, though some (most) of our lovely friends did buy generous gifts. But what we did have was an amazing day spent with our friends and family :-)

Oh sil doesn't want physical gifts, though $$$ would be their preferred option..
    some of DP's family members gave us presents because we got engaged. Engaged! I feel a but guilty they felt the need to give us something because we got engaged, we didn't even have an engagement party lol. I really hope when they come to the wedding they don't feel obliged to give us anything, and certainly nothing expensive.

Your wedding sounds blissful exactly how I want my wedding. No stress, no expectations, just fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried to keep costs under 300-400 for the bridal party at my own wedding, I didn't want it to be a massive drain on them to support me.

I have been in two weddings as bridesmaid. For one I spent about the same, 300ish. For the other, the dress alone was $300, and the bride insisted on hair and makeup that cost us each another 300, as well as mani, pedi, tan.... it ended up costing me over $1000!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Uh-Oh  (12-06-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    My DH & DS1 are involved in SIL's wedding in mid November.

I think the amount we are being expected to pay for outfits is extreme but an unsure in the etiquette as I paid for my bridal parties outfits (but only had bridesmaid and best man).

Also, prior to deciding on a certain suit did you consult everyone before hand to see how much they would be willing to spend?

(And the suits have to be bought, the chosen suits are not available for hire).

To add, flights & accommodation to get us there is costing us $2000 alone.
    I didn't consult with any of our bridal party....because we paid for it all. Hair, make up, dresses, shirt, tie, suit hire, shoes - I even bought black socks for the best man (but that was just about me being a control freak ).

Asking someone to buy a suit is a huge ask, especially if they don't need a suit. I see nothing wrong with suit hire personally.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Uh-Oh  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just don't understand why people ask friends or family to be part of their wedding but then expect them to fork out hundreds of dollars for an outfit, chosen by the bride and groom. Really irks me.

I think it's unfair for then to ask you to pay for any of the clothing, especially as you are travelling to attend the wedding.

Just my opinion but I think if you have a wedding, it's your responsibility to dress your bridal party.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Uh-Oh  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I didn't consult with any of our bridal party....because we paid for it all. Hair, make up, dresses, shirt, tie, suit hire, shoes - I even bought black socks for the best man (but that was just about me being a control freak )..
    He he! Me too! And I may of also not trusted him to look after it in the lead up to the wedding so got handed over the night before! Control freak much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all, I feel better about being so annoyed!

Whilst we're comfortable, we're not made of money. I'm on half pay and not back at work til sept, the wedding is one week after ds2s first bday and 6 weeks before Xmas so financially there is so much more I could spend the money on!

But you can't pick family!