+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much $$$ is reasonable to ask from bridal party?

My DH & DS1 are involved in SIL's wedding in mid November.

I think the amount we are being expected to pay for outfits is extreme but an unsure in the etiquette as I paid for my bridal parties outfits (but only had bridesmaid and best man).

Also, prior to deciding on a certain suit did you consult everyone before hand to see how much they would be willing to spend?

(And the suits have to be bought, the chosen suits are not available for hire).

To add, flights & accommodation to get us there is costing us $2000 alone.
    Last edited by Uh-Oh; 12-06-2013 at 16:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Far out $2000!?
    When organising our wedding (now on back burner) we decided to cover the costs, these people mean a lot to us and to have them included on our day we'd like to pay for it.
    That said I've paid for dresses before and I think the bride and groom should be willing to pay atleast half.

ETA for bridesmaids we have set $300 each dress as maximum and if the suits cannot be hired I think they should get a say in what they are buying.
    Last edited by MrsOhara; 12-06-2013 at 16:29.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-06-2013),Uh-Oh  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's really unfair chosing a suit that cannot be hired! As far as dresses go, I think if the bride/groom want you to pay then they can't dictate what you wear, it should be a "please wear this colour or this style" but give the option of purchasing one within your budget.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-06-2013),Uh-Oh  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, flights for the 4 of us is $1300, accommodation $660.

$300 is kinda what I thought was reasonable and what we would be looking at.... It's a fair bit more. For just DH.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I had a pretty casual/laidback wedding and I just ask my matron of honour and bestperson (a lady) to wear a blue dress of their choosing. My MOH wore a dress she already had. So they weren't required to spend any $$. Initially I asked my MOH to wear a nice dress in a colour of her choosing, she had two she liked (one orange, one blue) but she preferred the blue so my DH told the bestperson to wear blue.

The bride should be considerate of the cost of the bridesmaids dresses...not everyone can afford $$$ so they should chose a dress everyone can afford.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Uh-Oh  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is $760. This does include EVERYTHING. But he really has no need for a red bow tie or pocket chief or vest. The suit is a basic black (but slim fit) so can't go wrong but he has 2 other suits he already owns he would wear over a basic black, he hates the shoes and the one thing he does like -the shirt I could buy for him from Roger David.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I think it's really unfair chosing a suit that cannot be hired! As far as dresses go, I think if the bride/groom want you to pay then they can't dictate what you wear, it should be a "please wear this colour or this style" but give the option of purchasing one within your budget.
    I wasn't there at the fittings, and DH hates to cause any drama. I'm sure there would of been hiring options for some suits but the one SIL likes can't be. He should of piped up then but is too nice!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My DH's suit for our wedding only cost $150-200 from memory...and he looked great in it. I don't know why people would spend so much on something you may only wear once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlotchedTabby View Post
    My DH's suit for our wedding only cost $150-200 from memory...and he looked great in it. I don't know why people would spend so much on something you may only wear once.

Lol his outfit for being 4th groomsmen in SILs wedding is costing us more than his suit for his own wedding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So almost 800 bucks just to buy a suit and shoes your DH hates? it's really selfish to choose such an expensive suit! you can buy basic but nice ones for $300? Are you in the bridal party as well? I think it's pretty obscene to expect people to part with 3k+ for their wedding. If they want $800 suits THEY should pay for them!

The couple sound very high maintenance, I feel bad for you