Closed Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lets not forget that when they get it, they will have the overwhelming majority and probably balance of power in both upper and lower houses. It won't be so hard to get things through, not like it is now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleGuppy View Post
    I think one of the biggest things people miss all together is u aren't voting for a leader ur voting for the party. The Labour Party has demonstrated this very clearly by continually having leadership changes and challenges!
    Sure Tony Abbot is a knob and says some of the dumbest things but watching Julia Gillard speak is so frustrating. all I see rehearsed and bear are lines and its always ensured all her i's are dotted and t's crossed. It comes across as if she is void of all emotions. She will never say a single thing out of line because its all prepared and likely not by her. At least tony abbot has some of his own thoughts going on even if they are stupid. I personally don't like political puppets.
    I think most swinging voters do vote because of the leader.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (13-06-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    And I think you're exactly right BRV. They look at the leader and either like or dislike them.

Why would it make such a big difference whether Rudd or Gillard is leading Labor - because the leader makes a difference as they are the figure head.

However, some of us don't vote like that, and because we vote a certain way, does not mean we think the leader is the bees knees.

As for whether Abbott has changed his personal beliefs on abortion in 8years - it doesn't matter. Gillard hasn't changed her beliefs regarding gay marriage, however, if it had been voted for at the last vote on it in parliament, it wouldn't matter what her personal beliefs are.

If the Libs get power in both houses, it won't happen for awhile, as the terms don't coincide.

It's interesting here to see how many people are so dead set against Abbott. While there is dissent in the Labor party and most people have said that they believe Labor can't win come September if Gillard remains leader, yet I haven't seen people here saying that they would demand Gillard step down.

Isn't that the more sure fire way to ensure that Abbott doesn't become Prime Minister? To keep Labor in, rather than keep Abbott out?

If I was happy with the current leadership of the country, I'd be leaning more towards how to keep them in, rather than how to work out a different leader of the opposition.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-06-2013),Guest654  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I could care less who labor leader is, I don't vote for them But I like them about a million times more than libs, put it this way, when I do a number in every box I put libs last, even after shooters, and any wack religious ones

I agree though re labor, I think no one wants to take over the leadership, they are going down and taking everyone with them. From the get go it has almost seemed like....they want to lose, I know it doesn't make sense, but they have done so many wrong things it is almost like they are doing it on purpose!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think one of the biggest things people miss all together is u aren't voting for a leader ur voting for the party. The Labour Party has demonstrated this very clearly by continually having leadership changes and challenges!
    Sure Tony Abbot is a knob and says some of the dumbest things but watching Julia Gillard speak is so frustrating. all I see rehearsed and bear are lines and its always ensured all her i's are dotted and t's crossed. It comes across as if she is void of all emotions. She will never say a single thing out of line because its all prepared and likely not by her. At least tony abbot has some of his own thoughts going on even if they are stupid. I personally don't like political puppets.
    I disagree. Did you see Julia Gillard cry when talking about the NDIS in parliament? The grace with which she handled the Alan Jones "died of shame" debacle? Her being well spoken and thorough is likely a result of years in legal practice. Give me a well thought out speech given by an articulate, organised and intelligent PM over a PM who represents us on a world stage by saying "some of the dumbest things", any day of the week!
    As for "continually having leadership changes and challenges", this is inaccurate. There has only been one leadership change- Rudd to Gillard.
    When Rudd resigned as Foreign Minister, there was a leadership spill, which saw Gillard comfortably retain power. Then earlier this year, Crean put Rudd up for another challenge- which saw Crean sacked and Rudd declining to challenge- so when the spill happened, Gillard again retained her position.
    If you don't like puppets, don't vote for the liberals! Does the fact that TA is not allowed to speak in any unscripted interview not tell you he's not in charge of his own strings? I don't know exactly who the puppet master is (though I could guess) but make no mistake- Abbott is indeed a puppet.
    Last edited by Atropos; 13-06-2013 at 12:36.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (13-06-2013),IvyRain  (13-06-2013),misskittyfantastico  (13-06-2013),shelle65  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lol I saw the 'tears' if that's what u call them. Perhaps they were real but her face being devoid of emotion is just strange.
    I don't like TA one bit but I dislike JG even more. They are puppets because our politics is focused on our leaders for their Hollywood type fame rather than leadership. They are told what to say because for some reason people have started believing what they say. Politicians are like 2nd hand car sales people. U can't believe anything they say, it's more about what they do and don't do and the promises they keep and don't keep.
    I'm personally a Joe Hockey fan. I enjoy watching him speak and am always interested in what he has to say.
    One thing is for sure doesn't matter who u do or don't like this long campaign is stupid and an election just needs to be called. It's all getting so pathetic. It's embarrassing for our country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    It's interesting here to see how many people are so dead set against Abbott. While there is dissent in the Labor party and most people have said that they believe Labor can't win come September if Gillard remains leader, yet I haven't seen people here saying that they would demand Gillard step down.
    Bc I don't think she has done a terrible job, just not a great one. Frankly I was upset to see Rudd didn't contest in the spill, I was hoping he would take over the sinking ship and maybe have some hope of being re elected. So while I don't think she should stand down, I do wish Rudd had taken the reins.

I guess the same could be said though for lib voters that don't like Abbott? do they think he should stand down to make a better govt in power given the libs will get in?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Lol I saw the 'tears' if that's what u call them. Perhaps they were real but her face being devoid of emotion is just strange.
    Why the "lol"? It smacks of ridicule.

I don't like TA one bit but I dislike JG even more. They are puppets because our politics is focused on our leaders for their Hollywood type fame rather than leadership. They are told what to say because for some reason people have started believing what they say. Politicians are like 2nd hand car sales people. U can't believe anything they say, it's more about what they do and don't do and the promises they keep and don't keep.
    I'm personally a Joe Hockey fan. I enjoy watching him speak and am always interested in what he has to say.
    Yep, most of the words from any politicians mouth are scripted or at the very least structured to ensure they tow the party line. The fact is that Gillard has and will do unscripted interviews, she has the ability and brains to do so and come off reasonably well. Abbott, however, will not do unscripted interviews because he doesn't - he comes away looking like a buffoon (7:30 report anyone?) or just refuses to make comment if the question is too hard. The only reason Hockey's lines aren't as scripted as Abbott's is because he's somewhat more articulate.

One thing is for sure doesn't matter who u do or don't like this long campaign is stupid and an election just needs to be called. It's all getting so pathetic. It's embarrassing for our country.
    An election was called, weeks ago. Gillard called it weeks, if not months ago.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-06-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post

Isn't that the more sure fire way to ensure that Abbott doesn't become Prime Minister? To keep Labor in, rather than keep Abbott out?
    It saddens me to say but unless there is some freak miracle then I don't think the ALP will win the election but I don't think they would win even if they had a change of leadership. I honestly think that the reason that Labor are doesn't so poorly in the polls is down to:
    - Ingrained misogyny in our culture which has also been played up by main****** media
    - The support and bias of Murdoch press
    - The support of Rhinehart's dollars and influence

How else do you explain a situation where Australia has had such consistent economic growth, optimal inflation and interest rates, ranks highly in "happiness" scales, is one of the most highly desirable countries to live in, consistent low unemployment figures yet still the majority think we are doing it so bad an the government is stuffing everything up?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-06-2013),snowqu33n  (13-06-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (13-06-2013)