Closed Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I think all of the people here wish the party they vote for would do better. I haven't back pedalled on anything, just pointing out that the menu in question has a pretty good chance of being nothing to do with the libs.

That doesn't mean I wish the libs wouldn't say or do better in a lot of things.

Same as Julie bishop took offense to the comments Julia Gillard made yesterday, and would likely take offense to the earlier comment in here re being deputy to Tony abbott
    For some reason I can't thank posts, but I would thank this. We may not agree with politics but I have respect for your POV.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Nope. The issue is that she is incompetent.:
    Lets all just remind ourselves just how "competent" Abbott is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ9y1c73-IM

Yeah, totally compenent. Not going to be a compete embarrasment on the world stage at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The menu would have most likely remained private except the owners son posted on his Facebook which was public enough

I think that you're grasping at straws on this one. Private or not, it happened, it got a lame apology. Status quo I spose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yep. And if Abbott were to read those comments, I would assume that he would not cry about how offended he is that Labor voters are talking rudely about him. He is stronger than that.
    There is a big difference between rudeness and what the PM has endured based on her gender.
    http://annesummers.com.au/speeches/h...-work-r-rated/
    This should give you some idea. Abbott being discussed on a forum like this doesn't even come close. I am interested in how you know how he might respond to the discussion though- do you know him personally?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-06-2013),misskittyfantastico  (12-06-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Actually, the original tone of this thread was bi/nonpartisan. It's about the insidiousness of sexist language in this country, and the fact that even the highest office bearer in this nation is not immune from it. I ignored the Bob Ellis reference because IMO it is irrelevant to this thread, as I stated earlier.

My problem with Tony Abbott in this context is that he had an opportunity to do more than just give a slap on the wrist and say 'yes that was naughty'. He has a wife, a sister, daughters and I resent him as the very likely next PM for not standing up and saying 'let's all stop treating our women this way'. It has nothing to do with my political persuasion.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-06-2013),babybabycakes  (13-06-2013),HollyGolightly81  (13-06-2013),IvyRain  (13-06-2013),jellybeanicecream  (13-06-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (13-06-2013),misskittyfantastico  (12-06-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Actually, the original tone of this thread was bi/nonpartisan. It's about the insidiousness of sexist language in this country, and the fact that even the highest office bearer in this nation is not immune from it. I ignored the Bob Ellis reference because IMO it is irrelevant to this thread, as I stated earlier.

My problem with Tony Abbott in this context is that he had an opportunity to do more than just give a slap on the wrist and say 'yes that was naughty'. He has a wife, a sister, daughters and I resent him as the very likely next PM for not standing up and saying 'let's all stop treating our women this way'. It has nothing to do with my political persuasion.
    I agree with this, but I think all of them were trying too hard to find out who to blame and spin it for politics in the beginning.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, the best political spin Abbott could've put on it would've been to say lets stamp out sexism, like the way the Adam goodes slur highlighted the bigger problem of racism

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    So if he had said that you would be happy?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    That feels like a loaded question. I imagine you are armed with some quote or other :-)

I think him saying that is the bare minimum of what would be an appropriate response and good leadership.

I would be 'happy' if he investigated exactly what happened, as I acknowledge that I don't know for sure, and if necessary disciplined the appropriate party members and offered a formal apology to Ms Gillard.

I despair sometimes at the way our politicians treat each other.

Father, it seems that you enjoy robust debate much more than I do. I have answered this question because I would feel rude not to, but I think I'll bow out here. Peace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (13-06-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as Julie bishop took offense to the comments Julia Gillard made yesterday, and would likely take offense to the earlier comment in here re being deputy to Tony abbott
    I assume this is in response to my post. I mean Julie Bishop no offense. Despite the fact that I do not like the party that she represents, I have a lot of respect for her as an incredibly competent woman who IMO would far exceed the abilities of the man that she is deputy to. As a woman I was personally offended by the *loyal girl* comment that Abbott made when she was appointed as deputy. I felt that he diminished her abilities in that moment. My comment from earlier was with regard to how it must be to be deputy to someone who has a *questionable* track record when it comes to matters of gender equality.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-06-2013),beebs  (12-06-2013),Mod-pegasus  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    see the 'people pick on Abbott' stance doesn't wash with me. Firstly Abbott is an idiot bc of how he views women. I'm insulting his stance on my gender and on his various revolting comments on a range of subjects that effect women. Quite simply, I cannot abide his views or his actions. I would never stoop so low to make a comment I bet he has a little willy or something.

Secondly, it's like saying something is ok bc the other side is doing it. People saying oh but people gave Howard a hard time. So it's ok then? People laughed about his ear hair or the fact he was a fuddy duddy, just a tad different to talking about Gillard's vagina?

Of course the libs are distancing themselves, they are hardly going to admit they knew. Yes, maybe they didn't know, but the owner of the joint is a libs voter and donator. hardly a labor man! The libs in various functions have made several offensive remarks about Julia so this is a pattern now.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (13-06-2013),Atropos  (12-06-2013),beebs  (12-06-2013),dancingchipmunk  (13-06-2013),kezanazz  (12-06-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (13-06-2013),misskittyfantastico  (12-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (12-06-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (12-06-2013),Witwicky  (13-06-2013)