+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips for managing gastro while pregnant?!?

Hi- I am almost 17 weeks pregnant and on day 6 of hideous gastro. I'm so hungry for something tastey but nothing is staying put. I have been eating potatoes and crackers and drinking gastrolyte So boring.
    Any good ideas for what I can eat or do to get better?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had gastro when pregnant with DD, I went up to the ED at the womens hospital and they put me on a drip for dehydration and I felt a million times better in a couple of hours. After 6 days I think you should definitely go and get checked out. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Shelle.
    I went to my GP yesterday who basically said drink gastrolyte and plain food and come back if still around by day 10!!! So disappointed..really want them to fix me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    6 days seems like a long time for gastro. Do you have an ob or midwife you can ask advice? If you show any signs of dehydration I would do what the pp did & go to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2nd opinion. Gastro for that long is not healthy. Ring your midwife and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nothing worse than gastro and pregnant . Biggest thing is to stay very hydrated, so lots and lots of water/liquids, you don't want to be dehydrated when pregnant and if found to have protein in your urine, they like to admit you and give you saline to rehydrate etc.

Can you tolerate bananas? I like the 'B.R.A.T' diet when I'm sick with gastro (providing I can keep things down) and that is banana, rice, apple, tea.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bypass the gp and go straight to the hospital/ob. Trust me, they will take you seriously and make sure you are ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys- I will call my Ob again today and see what she says. I did call on Monday but she said best to see GP first?!
    Anyway I appreciate your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would also suggest the ED, I went when I had it at 32 weeks with DS and they gave me fluids through a drip and an injection to stop the relentless vomiting. I felt so much better afterwards and much better the next day (no dehydration headache etc that I usually get when recovering from gastro). I had only had it for one day, I can't imagine battling through it for 6! I hope you get some relief very soon!