+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    At age 3 they still have a lot of growing to do and most don't really learn to follow instructions until after 4. 18months to school is still a long way away so I'd take comfort in my child getting the needs he wants which if it's cuddles so be it!
    A child crying the whole way through a swimming lesson isn't going to get him anywhere and can be distressing not only for himself but his mum too.
    See and I agree with this too.
    Gees if I can't make these decisions how am I gonna make the really tough ones in years to come!???

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would take him out tbh.

at 3 the most important thing for him to feel is that Mum will listen to him, and be there.

while its important that he learn to swim, its not as important as his social development and wellbeing.

he will learn to listen, and learn to feel comfortable taking instructions ... but that takes time. Forcing him to do swimming lessons when he is crying and not liking it isnt going to help that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter was the same and I changed her and she is doing fantastic now!

Is this at Hurstville?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My daughter was the same and I changed her and she is doing fantastic now!

Is this at Hurstville?
    Ye.

I know older kids who went there and they all hated him but now that they can swim they like him.

Where do your kids go now?
    Last edited by misho; 12-06-2013 at 13:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure what you should do OP... I started taking my DD to swimming lessons at 18 months. She screamed all the way through the whole summer of lessons, and I really think I should have pulled her out at the beginning, but the instructor kept telling me that a lot of kids cry for a start, but they love it by then end, so I persevered.

She now (at almost 4) refuses to get in any pool unless clinging to me... I keep trying to get her excited about learning to swim and having lessons, but she won't have anything to do with the idea. I know I'm going to have to change that before she goes to school, but I am really unsure of how to do it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
    I'm not sure what you should do OP... I started taking my DD to swimming lessons at 18 months. She screamed all the way through the whole summer of lessons, and I really think I should have pulled her out at the beginning, but the instructor kept telling me that a lot of kids cry for a start, but they love it by then end, so I persevered.

She now (at almost 4) refuses to get in any pool unless clinging to me... I keep trying to get her excited about learning to swim and having lessons, but she won't have anything to do with the idea. I know I'm going to have to change that before she goes to school, but I am really unsure of how to do it...
    That's very upsetting to hear.
    My ds is a bit diff I think, if I take him to the pools he's quite happy to jump in the deep end and splash and swim, he doesn't hate the water, it's the idea of listening and the teacher that upsets him.

We'll give it a try this Friday and take it from there..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having a similar dilemma, I changed swim schools for dd this year as she wasn't getting anywhere at the old one - she spent most of the time mucking around in the water instead of listening and the teacher allowed it. However her new teacher is too strict and lectures dd at length and makes her get out of the pool just for not standing completely still or for letting her kick board dip under the surface. DD's swimming has improved hugely, but she cries after every lesson that she is "the worst in the class" (referring to behaviour, not ability). She's actually a year or two younger than the others in the class but is quite tall so doesn't look it. I think the teacher expects her to behave like a 7-8 yo when she is only 6. I don't know what to do tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Ye.

I know older kids who went there and they all hated him but now that they can swim they like him.

Where do your kids go now?
    Yes, my daughter hated him too, and one of the teachers told her that her "swimming was rubbish, absolute rubbish!" and she was 3 at the time

A friend of mine had problems as well. I remember once a boy vomited in the pool and he told the mum off for giving her child milk. He vomited because he was made to swim across the pool!!! Then lessons had to be called off for the rest of the day.

I stopped going after that was said to my daughter and changed to Sans Souci, but she had a different teacher just about every week, so now she goes to Annette Kellerman in Marrickville and they are fantastic!
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 12-06-2013 at 13:40. Reason: Removing ref to edited text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, my daughter hated him too, and one of the teachers told her that her "swimming was rubbish, absolute rubbish!" and she was 3 at the time

A friend of mine had problems as well. I remember once a boy vomited in the pool and he told the mum off for giving her child milk. He vomited because he was made to swim across the pool!!! Then lessons had to be called off for the rest of the day.

I stopped going after that was said to my daughter and changed to Sans Souci, but she had a different teacher just about every week, so now she goes to Annette Kellerman in Marrickville and they are fantastic!
    Wow, this sounds like a swim school I went to in that area when I was a kid. It isn't named after a female is it? They used to terrify me.

I have heard that the Aquatic Centre is really good? A friend of mine teaches there, I am tempted to take my daughter who is terrified of water there, even if it is a bit of a drive.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

I'll keep Marrickville in mind but it might be a bit too far with both my kids and no 3 on the way..

We do go to the aquatic centre got ds2 baby lessons so that's my other option.

That's horrible about your friends kid? How old was the child when they were told that?
    He certainly is lacking in tact, he's very straight forward (last years newsletter about fees was very abrupt). I'll see what happens this week and decide, if they can't give ds some flexibility with the teachers i think I'll take him out.