+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advise - mylanta & sleep disruptiont

Hi there, I wanted to hear if anyone has had any issues with the use of mylanta? From advice of pediatrician in response t investigation into possible reflux for my little guy (13 half weeks) I've been giving my son mylanta when he appears in pain or discomfort to see if it helps (and it has) however since giving it his sleep has been disrupted. He used to sleep so well! Is it coincidence or an affect of mylanta? I've decided to stop using it - I'm pretty sure he has some reflux but don't think it's severe and am trying to manage it other ways eg, better feeding habits, holding upright, and eliminating just about everything from my diet that could affect him. Any ideas? My poor little

boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much and how often are you doing mylanta?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's have all been on it for reflux (1ml before feeding) and I found it helped with their sleep because they were no longer as uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been suggested I try 5 MLS every time he is inconsolable and see if it calms him down. I only use 2 half mls and 99 % it works re, calms him down. I try every thing else to soothe him first. I've used it once or twice maximum in a day....doesn't mylanta cause constipation in adults? He doesn't seem constipated but hard to know as he is bf. I just don't know what to do! I've had so many differing advice regarding my baby's screaming/crying before someone actually taking me seriously and not fobbing his distress off (surely screaming is not just down to his temperament!) and now I feel like I've made things worse for him - so overwhelming

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used it for a period of about 3 weeks after every day feed at around 3 months to get DS diagnosed with silent reflux. Had absolutely no negative affect on his sleeping. In fact that was how we knew he had silent reflux, he finally started sleeping and feeding properly.

However I am pretty sure the dosage is 1ml per kilo per day. So 5mls is pretty extreme.

A side affect of mylanta is diahrea, however I believe infant gaviscon can cause constipation but I didn't find that helped DS anyway and was a nuisance to use because of needing to dissolve it.

Honestly if you think he has reflux I would use it regularly at a lower dose (my dr told me to use 1ml and if that worked then .5mls would but we only ever went down to .75mls) for up to two weeks and then assess. It took three days of consistent use to see a noticeable improvement in DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    5mls every time seems quite excessive to me.
    Have you tried speaking to Karitane for advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    5mls is a big dose. When my sons were on it their dose was 1ml...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My peadiatrician said 1ml before and 1ml after a feed. Maximum 20ml per day. My DD and DS had bad silent reflux and ended up on Losec.

The Mylanta helped their sleep and it causes diarrhea not constipation. They can also get a bit of nappy rash also if using it regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds's paed recommended a 48 hour trial of 1ml before every feed (as others have said here) and then the plan was to go onto reflux med's if that worked. It did. It's when he started sleeping SO much better. It happened after 2 or 3 doses and I was in total shock. I think the paed was too as he hadn't been sure it was reflux (he had silent reflux which is much harder to diagnose).

So, no, it didn't make my ds's sleep worse, it made it better. It didn't seem to affect his bowels at all which was good cause any hint of constipation made his reflux 100 times worse.

We used mylanta (just 1ml from memory) when we got desperate after he went onto Zantac. The paed said it was for really bad days only as the aluminium acculumulates in the body and so it's not a suitable long term medication (short term ok though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I feel sick that I could have given him 5 mls as prescribed, 2 half is bad enough! The mylanta did have an immediate effect when I used it....maybe something else is bothering him too. All I want is for him to be happy...it's so hard to work out their troubles sometimes