+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did it. Took us an hour tonight, but we did it! Still broke my heart, but I have hope! Maybe I can eventually put her down at 8pm most nights and she will begin to sleep through? What will I do with myself?? I could.... watch a movie! Haven't watched a movie in 10 months, lol. We've never had her babysat, either, as she has just been extremely clingly with me from very early on. Imagine a night out!! I'm getting a little bit excited

Still, it's only day 1... I know we have a way to go yet...

I wont lie, I've felt (and still do) sick with doubt and depression all day long. It's bloody hard emotionally, even though I know there's nothing wrong with her and it's all done for the best long term.

Wow. I have a headache.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How are you feeling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm feeling weird. Sad. Bad. Hopeful. Doubtful. Relief. Blergh..
    But it had to be done. I'm feeling happy that we did it. It's worth it. She needed it as well, the poor little bug..
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 12-06-2013 at 22:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your feelings are so normal and that is exactly how I felt. It took me a couple of months to actually stop the feeling of depression and anxiety that my body and head was used to every afternoon dreading bed time. Yep, all that you said too. I couldn't actually believe she would sleep through and it was all a fluke. Keep up what you have done and she will sleep. Leave her to self settle tonight if she wakes and she probably will...it shouldn't take her long. She may protest but be strong. She can absolutely sleep 12 hours. Might not happen straight away (might wake early) but try to leave her to self settle. Yay for you. That is the hardest part over! Well done Cheers to sanity and happiness. You will find once she can self settle she will be less clingy too.
    Keep us posted!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (12-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww I know how you feel. I can watch TV now and both of us have unbroken sleep, it's like a dream come true My son was too traumatized in the cot so I still co-sleep, he's in the sidecar cot. But he goes to sleep by himself and sleeps through. Whatever you decide to do, be persistent and you'll get there. x

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (13-06-2013),~Marigold~  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done..,clever mummy & bubba! how'd the rest of the night go?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    Well done..,clever mummy & bubba! how'd the rest of the night go?
    I cannot believe it. She woke 2 and half hours after falling asleep and kind of started sooking, but I knew that she wasn't due for a bottle so I tucked her in and put her dummy back in her mouth and she..... went.back.to.SLEEP! I mean, she was even looking right at me, I thought, here we go... but nope, she just fell asleep. I trotted back off to bed in absolute awe of my clever little girl. I can't believe how fast they learn.
    So another 2 and half hours after that she woke again, this time proper crying, sitting up- so I picked her up and sat on the edge of my bed with her (I might put a comfy chair in the bedroom) and gave her her bottle (usually I'd bring her into my bed at this stage and she would end up sleeping with us for the rest of the night after her feed), but I made sure to just cradle her in my arms and not actully get into the bed. Changed her and put her back down without any real protest from her; she sleepily cried for a couple of minutes while I soothed her but no screaming. After 5 minutes I went over to shhhh her and rock/pat her and for the first time EVER, I didn't even have to pick her up- just seeing me there soothing her was enough and she instantly closed her eyes!!!

She slept through in her cot!

I was thinking about it last night, and I think the best way to describe how I'm feeling is unnatural- it has been so unnatural for me to fight against every fibre in my body saying "go to her, scoop her up and cuddle her, make it OK" when I had to leave her cry... every instinct I have was being supressed, which explains why I felt so mixed about everything last night after she initially fell asleep- happy and relieved but full of despair, also. And I was fretting that she'd be really upset in the morning, but she's her usual happy little self

I'm not looking forward to tonight, I know she will cry at first, but I'm pretty sure it will be easier and she'll settle faster.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 13-06-2013 at 11:17.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (13-06-2013),lovesushi  (14-06-2013),SugarSkull  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Keep at it Marigold! You're doing awesome!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic! Well done to you both

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic!! That is excellent. Yes, I know what you mean about it going against mothering instinct but believe that you are giving her the gift of self settling and sleep and she will be a happier child for it. Plus happy Mum = happy baby and vise versa. She will be able to sleep all night. My girl has been sleeping through 12 hours since christmas (13 months now). Do what works best for you both of course and what you are comfortable with. I hear DD wake up several times but she finds a dummy and goes back to sleep. Throw a heap in her cot. I also leave her water bottle in the cot. Only water, no milk (sleep consultant recommended). She uses a straw one and drinks from it most nights. I didn't believe she could go without a feed and she is fine. Before that she was having 4 feeds a night!
    Expect protesting tonight. It will be hard I am not sugar coating it. She will figure out what is going on and want someone to help her sleep. She is big enough to do it on her own. Some nights during the training I couldn't do it and went out for a drive while my husband did it. Make sure you have someone to support you while you do it. Call someone.. You can call me (even though you don't know me!) or talk to husband and have a cup of tea. Remember the different cries. Keep up the consistency and she will love you for it. We have to do this with toddlers and your bub is almost a toddler. I hope I am not making it sound harsh because it isn't. Give lots of cuddles and kisses before bed time and she will be drowsy and ready to sleep.

Looking forward to hearing how you go tonight! Yay for you!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-06-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast