+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toddler behavior. I'm feeling helpless :(

Ds is at a new highly recommended daycare centre (he is 3 and 9 months). His teachers are great and very supportive.
    I'm concerned about DS's behavior with other kids. Im feeling like a failure as a parent. I feel like I'm doing all the right things, but no improvement.
    Where do I take him? What else can I do?

Behavior:
    -Snatches objects off other kids (toy/drawing/paper plane and runs off with it or destroys it)
    - breaks/knocks over others building blocks
    - random pushing, calling silly names

He is very confident, not shy

He will say sorry and feel bad if he has upset me or someone.

I try strategies suggested by the centre. It's just like he doesn't get it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Isn't that normal behaviour???? Our room leader recently commented she lives having our girls as they rarely snatch or hit or push.... I was thinking what the.... All day at home I yell at them to stop snatching and pushing etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any advice, just subbing. Ds2 was 4 last month and is like this too.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Ds is at a new highly recommended daycare centre (he is 3 and 9 months). His teachers are great and very supportive.
    I'm concerned about DS's behavior with other kids. Im feeling like a failure as a parent. I feel like I'm doing all the right things, but no improvement.
    Where do I take him? What else can I do?

Behavior:
    -Snatches objects off other kids (toy/drawing/paper plane and runs off with it or destroys it)
    - breaks/knocks over others building blocks
    - random pushing, calling silly names

He is very confident, not shy

He will say sorry and feel bad if he has upset me or someone.

I try strategies suggested by the centre. It's just like he doesn't get it.
    You are NOT a failure!

What are his consequences? Is he like this at home or just in care?
    What have you been doing? Is your DH on board with discipline?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. My 3.5 yr old is the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's really normal behaviour, or at least I hope so, because my two boys are constantly doing all of that sort of behaviour! I just figure that if I'm consistent, and firm with discipline (eventually) it'll all work out. I do find though, now that DS1 is at preschool he has been given a bit of his own medicine so to speak, which has meant we have been able to have conversations about how it makes us feel to be on the receiving end. When they get really bad (or I'm about to explode!), we get out and run them lol. It seems to work most days. Some days though, I cannot wait for bedtime...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes they are all pretty much like that, but my Ds seems to be doing more than the average I assume. Kind of like his way of getting attention / trying to engage.
    Why would the teacher tell me if it was normal?
    I recently pulled him out of another centre as they weren't helping, they were hopeless. Actually said 'we didn't know what to do with him'
    Also at the end of the day, other kids come up to me and say 'he pushed me or he is naughty'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Yes they are all pretty much like that, but my Ds seems to be doing more than the average I assume. Kind of like his way of getting attention / trying to engage.
    Why would the teacher tell me if it was normal?
    I recently pulled him out of another centre as they weren't helping, they were hopeless. Actually said 'we didn't know what to do with him'
    Also at the end of the day, other kids come up to me and say 'he pushed me or he is naughty'
    Maybe they've mentioned it so that you and the centre can show a united front as far as his behaviour goes? Last year, in 3 year old preschool DS1 wouldn't listen all the time (something I was struggling with at home), the teachers brought it up with me and then we worked on strategies to curb his behaviour. At first I was horrified, but then relieved too, as it was nice to know something could be done and his teachers were backing me so to speak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    You are NOT a failure!

What are his consequences? Is he like this at home or just in care?
    What have you been doing? Is your DH on board with discipline?
    Thanks
    We talk about feelings, using words, taking turns...
    We redirect him, praise the positives, don't remind too much of the negatives.
    He is even like this at home (with brother or cousins). I have to watch him when my nieces/nephews visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would you think about taking him to a child psychologist? They're trained to spot reasons for behavioral issues and then they could give you tips on how to help him.