+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Inguinal hernia

DD1 was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia this afternoon. It is 1cm. The technician gave his opinion and said it would need fixing etc but didn't say much more than that.

Any experiences with this? I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had one. He had surgery at 18 months to fix it. It was just day surgery and recovery wasn't too bad.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

thepouts  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of my twin DD's had one at 10 weeks but by the time the surgery was scheduled it healed itself thankfully.
    How old is your DD? Did they say it could heal itself?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

thepouts  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they say how big it was??

DD is 4 almost 5. By the end of the day she has a good sized lump at the top right of her groin. I haven't received the report yet so haven't see our dr.

My mind just started to panic when it was confirmed

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 week old DS had surgery on his bilateral inguinal hernias last Wednesday. He also had a more serious medical condition, pyloric stenosis, which required urgent surgery so his doctors felt it was best to correct the hernias at the same time, to avoid a second operation in the near future. It was keyhole surgery performed at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick. DS was in hospital for two nights after the surgery and is recovering beautifully. Feel free to ask any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia at 6weeks and it was repaired by 7weeks she had an ovary stuck through the hole and it needed to be repaired quickly. My understanding was that if they aren't fully healed by 12months then surgery would be required to fix it. My daughter was admitted overnight because of her age and the fact that something was stuck. she managed to cope without pain relief because couldn't keep anything down. the surgery doesn't take long about half an hour all up. the scarring is minimal and generally if there is 1 chances r its on the other side too so generally they'll do a bi-lateral repair. feel free to ask any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds had his repaired when he was three weeks old. We could only see one and my surgeon always checked the other side and it needed repairing too! It was a pretty straight forward procedure. Ds was in for about 40 minutes.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 had one removed at 3.5yo she went to the park jumped down a giant step and at bath time told me her vagina was sore it went back in when we laid her down and the doctor should us how to gentley get it back in and to minimise how much jumping running she did to how active she naturally was and how serious they made it out to be if it's out and she's screaming and you can't gentle get it back in get her to a hospital quick smart so I bought a pram (i hadn't had one for 5 years by this point) and a bigger sling and we had her in either one of those in she didn't actually have an ultrasound but after seeing the GP we had it removed 5 weeks later in public system.

We went in first thing the doctors we great with her hardest part was holding the mask to send her off to sleep as she freaked out but she recovered quickly literally jumped out bed to go to the toilet 30 mins after getting back on the ward and the. Races off to see the play room she noticed as we came back in and we left 3 hrs later because of it. Recovery went really well still had to keep her from doing too much running and jumping and that for a few weeks so she could heal properly but we ended up just limiting her. It took a while for her to get back up to her level of fitness as it was 3months of not much activity. Compared to her wake up then go until she fell asleep

edited I really should have read the date first but hoping surgery has happened and everything went well
    Last edited by TeamAwesome; 14-08-2013 at 07:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamAwesome View Post
    edited I really should have read the date first but hoping surgery has happened and everything went well
    Damn I didn't read the date either that'll teach me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing all of your experiences...DD goes in for surgery next Tuesday. Which is good because it is getting noticeably bigger.