+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Genetic testing - thoughts?

Genetic testing has been on my mind of late.

Mum has been avoiding getting a genetic test to see if she carries the same gene for ovarian cancer that her mum had, as she "didn't want to live with that knowledge" and finds the whole prospect of knowing too heavy to bear.

I've been recommended to have the testing too, as well as a genetic test to rule out a possible coeliac diagnosis (oh dear god please no! i can't live without pizza!!!)

What other genetic tests are out there now?
    Would you have it done?
    Have you had any genetic testing?
    Would you consider it a comfort or a burden?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't had testing and to be honest I'm not sure what testing is available.

I can say though if it was recommend to me I'd do it. Asap. I'd want to know either way, that's just me.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh yeah, why not? I'd rather know and the take steps to prevent it, like with the ovarian genes, or Breast cancer genes.

I've had the genes test for coeliac, even if you come back positive that only means you have a 30% chance of having coeliac, you'd have to do the bloods and endo with biopsies. And if you thought you had it, then hella yeah, get it tested. My granddad developed bowel cancer at 45 after suffering from a sickly stomach his whole life, it killed him. Me and my mother are coeliacs, even my GI said it was more than likely that he had undiagnosed coeliac and that can cause bowel cancer. It just isn't worth it. And if it makes you feel any better, GF stuff tastes better every day - you can't even tell it isn't wheat anymore. Pizza crusts included

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd get it, for sure! Mostly because if you have it you can take steps to prevent ovarian or breast cancer.

If it was something I couldn't prevent, like huntingtons disease (an inherited neuro condition) I wouldn't want to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh i am totally having the testing done, no doubt in my mind (or so i say atm!). Its just that mums view of "not wanting to know" really threw me. It was a scenario i had never considered - but having never had any kind of genetic testing, i honestly can't predict how i will actually react if one of the tests come back positive. Like...would i have a double mastectomy?? Hmm... would i have my ovaries removed pre-emptively? Don't know.

Just genuinely curious of other peoples thoughts and experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't really think I would bother getting tested to see if I have the gene for some type of cancer... Knowing I had a high chance of cancer would just make constantly fear I had it. I would rather just go get mammograms regularly or Pap smears or whatever.

I don't know anyone in my family who has died anything other than age or things they somewhat brought on themselves (like liver cancer for my alcoholic grandmother).

I would go get tested for things... Just not tested so we could assess the probability of me oneday developing those things if that makes sense. So like... I get tested for high bp and diabetes because its so common in my family. But if there were tests I could have to say whether or not I was likely to maybe develop them oneday... I wouldn't bother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with Sassy I would have Pap smears, breast screen, any blood work even colonoscopies if bowel cancer was in the family but if there is a proper screening that would tell me I was at risk then no I wouldn't want to know. I'd continue to stress 'when will I get it' and freak at any niggle or pain.
    My eldest is type 1 diabetic and can get a particular screen on my other 3 daughters but we opted against it. If it happens it will and I can't prevent it from happening. We do however finger prick them on different occasions to see what their levels are.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes i would get the testing. So that then i could have more regular screenings. Somethings you only have to get done every two years. Thats the difference between stage one and stage /nothing they can do.

So if i carried a gene for something heck yes id want to know.

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    With ovarian cancer, there is no reliable screening. Even once you can see it on ultrasound it's probably too late. It's a horrid, horrid cancer.

If I had the gene, id get my ovaries out, without a doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi just asking does this cost money?!

Or does Medicare cover it