+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tell her you had other plans with them. I hate when people make plans for MY things!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd have told her sorry I already gave away my sons clothes away.

I may have also blown a raspberry at her because that is beyond rude.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agreed, that's super rude.
    We were given a heap of baby clothes by one of my friends. I'm talking bags and bags of them. My FIL has asked if we can spare some for DH's young cousin who's fallen pregnant and hasn't got much money.
    Totally fine with that as we were asked, not told! I can't believe how rude that is :/

I'd probably say they're already spoken for, that you'd already offered them to someone else and they'd accepted the offer. Childish, but if you can trade them for something that you'll need then I don't see the issue with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that's rude too! Of your mil I mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tell her she will be giving you her car. You'll need a spare car, right? When she gets outraged you can calmly point out that it's not up to others to decide what you do with your possessions, it is rude and presumptuous of anyone to attempt it

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-06-2013),Eko  (11-06-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (11-06-2013),PinkSmarties  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will just echo everyone else rude and presumptive. I must admit as SIL doesn't know what she is having I dobt see an issue that she is keeping hold of her clothes. We have kept hold of all ours, and will till we have decided we don't want any more Babies. Just in case she has another but for MIL to just assume you will give yours away.

I must agree with PP you will probably find you will get more with a trade than selling, but whatever you decide it's nothing to do with MIL. If you do sell them tell her afterwards so she can't guilt/pressure you.

Out of curiosity is there anywhere on gumtree/eBay where you can trade? I suppose even if you sell your clothes cheaply you can buy some cheaply as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely rude of your MIL, but then we know what MILs can be like, don't we?! I sold my children's clothes at a Baby & Kids Market and made $800! I was delighted. My tip is to make sure everything is freshly washed and ironed, and don't try to sell anything that has ANY stains on it. Present your stall really well and you'll do well. I had many people comment on how great my stall looked and what terrific condition all my clothes were in. I think that really helped me sell so much. I only expected to make about $300, so to come home with $800 was fantastic. You'd certainly be able to buy some lovely clothes for your twins with that amount of money.
    I have a friend who has three boys and I have bought lots of clothes from her. They're all great brands - Country Road, Seed, Esprit, and in such good condition. I certainly wouldn't expect her to hand over all those clothes for nothing, when she could be making money from them. I'm really happy to pay her - I get lots of beautiful clothes for a small outlay, I know where they've come from, and I'm helping her out. It's a win win situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, good to know I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit rude! DH is totally on my side as well which is good
    I think SIL may have got rid of all get daughter's clothes; they aren't hoarders like me lol
    I kept all my son's because I knew that we were planning more babies after him. They are currently in boxes in the shed, most likely at the back and underneath a lot of other boxes. I'm getting DH to hunt down my box of newborn gear, which has size 00000 and 0000 clothes plus other random stuff you need for a newborn that I had left over. I might give her those boy clothes (I'm keeping neutrals) if she is having a boy but leave the rest and tell her that we can't get to the boxes. I'll just sell the rest on the sly and hope they forget about it lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll just add that I'm crossing my fingers that she is having another girl so I don't have to worry!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You'll barely get anything for the old clothes, I'd be inclined to just give them to her if I were you.

I only bother to sell designer stuff if I'm getting rid of my kids clothes, but even then they really only sell for pittance, barely worth the effort! All of it goes to the op shop.