+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared of using the potty

My DD who is almost 2.5years old doesn't like to sit on any potty, like she's afraid. I've tried the floor potty, the toilet bowl top potty (she didn't even want to get near that).

I've tried training her 3 times so far (no more than 2 days at a time) and its been a nightmare. Like she has no interest in learning. She has an older brother (almost 4year old) who shows her how he does it and that doesn't help!

Should I just accept that she's not ready or try something else? I believe she is ready because she wants me to change her each time she wees or poos her nappy and tells me before she does it sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice but DS is exactly the same. Freaks out if I so much as suggest he sits on the potty or toilet seat for a minute. He did actually take himself to do a few wees in the potty a few months ago so I thought 'Great, he's actually ready for this!' and I rewarded him etc... but then seemed to have lost interest in it after that. I have no idea why. He also tells me when he poos and wees (usually right as he's in the process of doing them so by the time I rush him to the toilet it's all over).

So hard to know what to do isn't it? DS has just had a bad cold so I'm waiting till that passes before I consider trying to TT again anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have the same issue with dd (25 months). We were gently encouraging tt 6 months ago and she was going really well then suddenly decided the potty is worthy of a meltdown. I just ask her every few days and drop it wheb she rejects the idea. Hopefully she will chabge her tune soon because bribes aren't working

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. It just gets so frustrating at times. I'm due with my 3rd in 3 months and was hoping to get her trained before baby arrives but looks like I may be better of waiting until warmer weather is here so she can go the day without bottoms so I don't have too much cleaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds gross, but try making pooing and weeing fun. When you do a poo, get your toddler to come and have a look and both say bye bye poo, see you later, have fun at the poo party. And flush the toilet together. Create interest. Same with wees! I know it's gross. I'm just starting this myself so that my small person isn't scared of the toilet. A friend suggested this as it worked for her kiddies. Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peebs For This Useful Post:

analioness  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Where do you leave the potty when you arent trying to train her?

DS got given one of those potties that looks like a mini toilet with the flusher and toilet roll holder. I always just left it out and he'd play around on it and get comfortable with sitting on it himself. A couple of times by change he did wee's on it even from early as 12months. By the time he really wanted to TT, he was already familiar with it.

Could you leave it out to let her 'explore' it and get comfortable with on her own?