+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good on the parents for going public and admitting they made a mistake. What a terrible thing to have to go through, and it would be awful to know you could have prevented it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just read that story. I'm gobsmacked. What a naive comment. She said she 'would walk through. ..' but didn't say she had. She should spend a day looking after a sick baby and then try and day that still.

Ps.. my dd has a congenital heart defect. .. she's had 2 open heart surgeries. . we are just 2 weeks past her last one and she's doing well all things considered. .. on s related note she is v unable to have her immunizations on time. . she was due for needles two weeks ago but due to surgery and being on heart/lung bypass she couldn't have v them. .. nor can she have them until she is 8 weeks post surgery. She is at risk of catching something that could be prevented because ignorant people do not vaccinate their children.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo View Post
    Dh showed me the article. i was gobsmacked!! http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1226650600820

thats the link. The comment i was talking about can be found just above the blue writing thst says 'end the childcare danger'.
    How sheltered these people must be.

I highly doubt ANY of them have walked through a childrens ward and seen the horrors that some of these preventable diseases can cause. It is easy to judge from afar, much harder when you are faced with the realities.

I'm glad the family in OP were brave enough to tell their story. There have been a few anti-vaxxers coming forward lately and admitting they were misinformed. Their stories might just make that decision a little easier for the next family who are overwhelmed and confused with all the contradictory opinions out there.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to give these parents sympathy ...but ..well ..I cant (I give the kid sympathy and wish him well)...If the kid didn't get tetanus then they wouldn't have changed their views..very sad the kid has to pay the price for the stupid parents

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-06-2013),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    I want to give these parents sympathy ...but ..well ..I cant (I give the kid sympathy and wish him well)...If the kid didn't get tetanus then they wouldn't have changed their views..very sad the kid has to pay the price for the stupid parents
    So true. .. Although this affected their child I think they are trying to make up for it by spreading an awareness message now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    So true. .. Although this affected their child I think they are trying to make up for it by spreading an awareness message now.

Thats great now ... I hope prior to this awful incident they were not spreading anti vax garbage ... Like so many do... Maybe if every anti vax person went through something like this .. Things would change !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Thats great now ... I hope prior to this awful incident they were not spreading anti vax garbage ... Like so many do... Maybe if every anti vax person went through something like this .. Things would change !!!
    Shame that it would come to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I agree. I'm glad there was a happy end and that their son is okay. Also that they got all vaccines done for their kids straight away for preventable diseases too.

I'm just going to say it. .. sometimes I wish anti vax people were allowed to visit kids in hospital like that boy or babies with whooping cough or children with measles. .. might open their eyes to how awful it is.

Wouldn't they just come out with 'the vaccine would have caused it, their obviously the weakest, it's good to get a VPD as it builds immunity' BS though? I'm mainly thinking the militant non vaxxers here, not so much the ones sitting on the fence. Your idea may sway them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a genuine question, although its a little off topic -

If you are up to date with your tetanus boosters and present at ED or GP with an infected wound, do they still automatically insist on giving another booster? Or is it sufficient to just keep up to date.

Reason i ask, is i have been told that some people purposefully dont bother boosting for tetanus as doctors insist on a booster at the time of an infection anyway. And i also read (on some unreliable website lol) that tetanus shot doesnt build lasting immunity, so a shot at the time of infection is always needed.

Anyone have reliable info on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They definitely don't insist on a booster. If you can be clear about when your last one was, and it was within an acceptable timeframe (not sure how many years this is) then they won't give you one. E.g. With DH at ED I could confidently say that he had one 2 years ago at x hospital after x happened so they didnt give him a booster.

If, like many people, you go 'ummm, I'm not sure, I might have had one in year 12 when I came off that motorbike, no wait that was during uni, ummm maybe when... Ummm...' Then they will probably just give you one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (11-06-2013)