+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 2.5 yr old bedtime battles!

Our dd has always been a fantastic sleeper. 3 months ago she went into a big bed - no issues at all. We would tuck her in say goodnight and wouldnt hear from her for 14 hrs.

Over the past 5 weeks she has steadily got worse to the point now some nights we spend hours getting her to stay in her room and in her bed.

She wants cuddles before bed which id been giving her, but she constantly gets up, opens the door, stands at the door and sometimes comes out the room. She has been taking her nappy off ( is TT but still wears a nappy at night) gets knickers out of her draw and puts them on, takes socks off, puts shoes on, pulls all her clothes out of her tallboy, cries and carries on.

Ive tried reasoning with her, being firm and strict, telling her off, cuddling her, done the super nanny thing- putting her back and not saying a word, nothing is really working. Some nights are worse than others.

She has a bedtime routine and goes to bed around the same time every night.

Some days she doesnt have a day nap now as we have the same issues then too, so figure shes not tired. So its not too much sleep during the day....

Help? Ive never had to deal with sleep issues before!! Is this an age related problem? Its exhausting!!

Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are in the same boat (minus the TT issues) so can't really help. I'm hoping it's just a phase. I think DS is starting to have nightmares too! Have you tried a slightly later bedtime? This helped us a bit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (10-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sit with Ds (have been since he was over 2.5yrs). He now falls asleep in 10min instead of jumping out of bed for around an hour. Everyone is less stressed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shes 7:30 generally but as most days shes refusing to day nap we have been bringing it forward a bit as she seems so tired and feral by late arvo / early evening. Might try a bit later and see if that helps.

Theres no TT issues as such, shes fine during the day but has just been taking her nappy off at night and putting knickers on. She still has a wet nappy in the mornings so havent tried no nappies at night yet....but maybe shes telling us shes ready for no nappy at night now and thats frustrating her?

Ahh dont u wish they came with instruction manuals sometimes!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it might be an age related thing. Sounds very difficult. We had all manner of sleeping issues with our children. From newborn and onwards. The issues just changed a bit with each new age. At the 2.5 years mark with dd1, she was needing to sleep in our bed most nights. I think she was looking for security? I don't know. By the age of 3 she was back in her own bed every night giving us no issues at all for the first time in her life. Still good at 4 years now.
    I can only suggest some type of rewards thing? I think I started a little chart when dd1 was that age. I painted a rainbow and had cut 'her' from a photo so that she was 'climbing up and over the rainbow' for the times she did the particular thing I was asking of her. (you can just put blu-tak on it to make it stick where you like). I painted a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and when she got to that (four moves over rainbow) she got a reward.
    It was very effective.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    I sit with Ds (have been since he was over 2.5yrs). He now falls asleep in 10min instead of jumping out of bed for around an hour. Everyone is less stressed.
    I had been cuddling her for a while before bed every night by sitting on her bed with on my chest and all her teddys too!!! but didnt want to get her into the habit of that everynight but she was going off better...maybe ill give that a go again as it was less stressful

Its so hard to know what to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Could you try this but every few nights move further away? Say next to her, then bottom of bed, floor, about 1 meter away and so on until your out the door. I did this with ds1 around the 2 year mark and it worked.

I think she is trying to tell you she's ready for no nappy at night. Would dry nights nappies be an option (not sure if they're available for small kids but maybe an option)?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months ago I was spending up to half an hour in DS1's bed to get him to sleep. Now we're down to 10min on a bad night. I agree with the pp's that it might just be an age thing and maybe if you go back to sitting on the bed you will be able to cut back slowly.