Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced the first time.
    Gel in first at 5pm,
    Hubby was asked to leave after visiting hours as I was on maternity ward,
    Morning I went into labour
    I called hubby even though they told me to wait it was around 7:30am
    Went to delivery suit they broke my waters and started the drip.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ocean10 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I was induced with DD1. I was already 3cm so no gel, straight on to drip. I had no other interventions/drugs.
    )
    Yup this was me too, my first induction was at 37 week's due to iugr so I was happy to be induced! 7 hour labor. Ds2 I chose to induce at almost 38 weeks, same thing, quick labor, 5 hrs. Only thing I found was labor was fast, but hard and fast due to the drugs they use to induce. But I have nothing to compare it to really lol

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Remember it your choice to be induced or not.
    This was my expericence last year at my local public hospital.

So, I have a few questions.

1. I apparently have to go in and have gel in the afternoon then wait to see what happens overnight. Am I right in thinking that you are left in the maternity ward overnight then taken to the birth suite once labour starts?

Yes.
    Does this mean I will have to spend my early labour in the maternity ward?

Yes
    The rooms are 4 beds per room and I do not like the idea of labouring with other people sharing the room.
    Or do you spend the night in the birthing suite?
    unlikely maybe if it not busy.

2. While I am waiting overnight for the gel to work, is my DF going to be allowed to stay with me?

Not unless your in the birth suite
    Or will they send him home and make him come back in the morning

They will call him when your ready to go down

I am pretty phobic of hospitals and am terrified of being there by myself without him but obviously it would be outside of visiting hours and I might not even be in labour yet so what will happen with that?
    unsure

3. I have heard that if you go into a public hospital as a private patient you can have your own room. Is this actually true?

yes some hospotal do but all.
    Does anyone know how much it costs? We have insurance but I don't want to go in as a private patient and have to pay out of pocket costs and not even get any benefits.

not sure.
    The birth centre we wanted to go to only has private rooms so I wasn't expecting to have to share and I'm quite worried about it because I don't like having my privacy invaded and I get pretty anxious about it

4. With the birth centre, you only stay for 4 hours then go home. I know I will want to be home ASAP in my own space and my own bed but will they allow me to leave so soon after an induction?

yes they like out the door quickly

5. Has anyone had an induction and not needed an epidural? I'm worried that once we have one intervention there will just be more and more and I'm terrified of having an episiotomy and forceps etc so I figure if I can avoid the epidural I'll be better able to push him out myself without any help.
    Yes I have had 3

6. We are 45 mins away from the hospital. After we have bub, I want DF to be able to stay with me until we go home. There are signs everywhere in the maternity ward that say no visitors between 12-3 including partners. So what happens if bub is born say at 11:30am, is DF going to be made to go home and leave me there right after I have bub? Surely they'd let him stay with us and having bonding time with our bub?
    I have never gad my partner kicked out after a birth. My last baby was born at 2 am and he left at 6 am for a nap and was back at 8am.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been induced twice so I will see if I can answer some of your questions from my own experience.

1. It depends on where you are birthing, it is probably different protocols in diff hospitals etc but with me I was left in my room after the gels so that I could get some sleep - which never happened. Once I was contracting and in need of the gas, I was transferred to the labour ward. There is a good chance that nothing will happen straight away once gels are inserted, or because you are overdue, things could happen a lot sooner. You will be advised to rest as much as possible once it's done.

2. Most places allow your partner to stay with you, though they generally get the worst bedding arrangement! My DF had to sleep on some cot thing which was really uncomfortable and I was gonna send him home because I didn't need to hear him tossing and turning whilst I was trying to sleep. Lucky I didn't though as my waters broke in the middle of the night.

3. With DS I was in a public hosp as a private patient. I am unsure of any costs as I didn't pay anything it was all covered and I did get a private room, but they couldn't guarantee it when I asked originally.

4. I left the hospital 6 hours after I had DS2 (and an induction), but I felt great, I had no tears or stitches etc and DS2 was fine - even though he was born with 2 knots in his cord and it was a posterior birth! I don't think there would be a problem you wanting to leave early, as long as you are okay and feel ok to leave so soon. I don't want to scare you but should the need for a c-section happen, then obviously that's another story.

5. With my first induction I had pethidine and gas. With DS2, I just had gas. So don't worry. It is more intense, yes. It is painful. But, labour is lol. Obviously I can't predict what you may need but go in with a positive mind frame and just see how you go. I went in thinking I would need an epidural and was so surprised to have birthed DS2 on just gas alone (especially considering his position), but also really proud of myself after! Not having the epidural or peth meant I was in more control then I was with DS and it felt awesome and was so worth it.

6. I don't know of any place that would not allow the partner to stay. If they don't I would kick up big time!

Good luck, hope it all goes well!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Natlie For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 40+7 as baby hadn't engaged and my blood pressure was rising. I was over it and happy to do it. Went in for gel, applied about 5pm. Hubby stayed until a little after visiting hours, although at the hosp they had rooms with two beds it was quiet so I was on my own. Was monitored for a few hours after gel but wasn't getting strong contractions. Hubby came in at 7.30am before I went to birthing suite. As she still hadn't engaged they were reluctant to break waters or drip so sat around for a few hours to find out course of action. At 10.30 they broke my waters and started drip. I only had gas for duration and she was born 4 hours later. I was still able to use things I'd read up on despite the constant monitoring. You will stay in birthing suite for a while and they won't apply visiting hours to your partner in there or likely rest of day but we didn't have that issue with end of rest period.

Each hospital is different on their policies so I would suggest you chat to them about the room etc. in my hospital it was a matter of if we are quiet enough we will try to accommodate but multiples or caesarians are a high priority.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    1. I had a similar experience. I had the gel in the evening in the birthing suite then was taken back to the maternity ward to wait and see what happened. I was 40+14 when I went in for the gel and I have to say, when it's your first baby and you're that overdue being in a room full of new babies and mothers was not ideal.

2. He will most likely be able to stay with you during the day but not at night.

3. I don't know about private rooms, sorry!

4. Possibly but less likely than an intervention free birth as there is a greater chance of complications (eg tears etc). Going home quickly entirely depends on how easy the birth was and how ok you and the baby are doing.

5. You have a choice, you can't be made to have an induction. Ask what you're options are for regular monitoring. I've had both an induction and a spontaneous labour and I would do the spontaneous any day over an induction. I had an epi when induced but only had gas at transition for the natural birth. Contractions with an induction (and I mean with syntocin, not a gel or anything) are usually harder and full on from the beginning unlike a natural labour where the contractions usually start small and then build up.

6. The public hospital I went to had a quiet time but it was ok for partners to stay, just so long as they were quiet. It's really just an opportunity for new mothers to have some peaceful time from the ****** of visitors. DF couldn't stay with me overnight.

Talk to your health care providers, tell them your concerns and ask what your alternatives are. You can offer to do regular monitoring. How long is your cycle? If it's longer than 28 days then your EDD needs to take that into account. Ask what is the rate of further intervention with an induction. If you are a first time mother and induced with syntocin your risk of ending in an emergency CS is around 30%. Google cascade of intervention.

Work out what YOU want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the responses.

I know it's ultimately my choice and as much as I would like to wait and let my body do it's own thing, I also don't feel comfortable doing that without monitoring, and like I said, it would involve a lot of travel.

But I have lots of information here and a few things to look into so thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1: Don't know

2:My partner was with me the whole time I was being induced.

3:not sure, but sharing a room wasn't so bad. They told me that some patients were prioritised with their own room, ie: cesarean. We got our own room as my baby was in the NICU for 4 nights.

4: depends on your birth, if it is straightforward or not and if you need to recover and if your milk has come through and baby is feeding ok.

5: I wanted an epidural from the outset but I didn't need any other intervention, I was able to push though I was numb

6: in my hospital (RPAH) OH can stay during the induction and birth. If you have your own room OH can stay with you the whole time. My partner had to go home after I went to bed the first night as I was in a shared room about 2 hours after our boy was born. I was looked after by nurses after that and it was fine. We had our own room after that.

Just to add my induction went very well and I wouldn't change a thing. It was scary and beautiful and painful and tiring. Only 7 hours of labour and I from what I can tell just as painful as my friends natural labour. I was so happy he came out safe and sound. I don't want to sound alarmist but my brother and his wife had a stillborn child at 40+ weeks and they encouraged me to have a cesarean or induction as my docs recommended without hesitation.

Hope it all goes well!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DarcyJ - i may be too late, ive only just seen your post. i hope to offer a little help to you. I declined induction at 40+9. I've been through the feeling you have, the worry, the arguments with the hospital. I know exactly how you are feeling.

In the end I had monitoring and gave birth at 42 weeks (spontaneous start to labour followed by syntocin to speed it up).

Please remember that you have the right to say no and the right to ask for monitoring. You need to be aware of all your risks etc.

your hospital should have an actual policy on how they deal with post date inductions, including when the patient declines induction. This was a very useful tool for me as I used it to remind the hospital of my rights and the way they should have been treating/caring for me and my unborn baby. It listed the monitoring required. I suggest you ask the hospital for a copy of their policy to read over before you agree to anything.

I am just one of many ladies here who have had 'post date' babies. I come from a long line of family who have normal, uncomplicated 42 week pregnancies.

Please be kind to yourself and make the decision that you want. Try to enjoy these last few moments of being pregnant. I hope all goes well for you

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (10-06-2013),DarcyJ  (10-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, after going in today and having ctg and US done by a MUCH nicer doctor than the pushy, rude b that we saw yesterday, we have a couple more days. I'm going to be induced at 42 weeks (I'm 40+12 right now). I mentioned to today's doctor that the lady yesterday was trying to make me agree to induction today and she just shook her head and said "No need until 14 days over". I didn't even have to argue or push to get what I wanted, it was great

So, I've been losing bits of mucous plug for weeks, I'm 2cm dialiated and my cervix is fairly short. I've had more braxton hicks (and stronger too) these last couple of days, along with some period-type pain. So, there is still every chance bub will go on his own over the next day or so but if he doesn't, I'll be happy knowing that we waiting until 42 weeks and gave him a good chance.

Oh and I got answers to a few of my questions today which is good, they will let my DF stay with me which was my biggest concern, and they have a couple of private rooms which they use for patients being induced so I'm feeling much better now about it all

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (10-06-2013)