+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Some questions about induction...

I'm now at 40+11. I thought I would be allowed to get to 40+14 before they would induce me but apparently they want me to have actually had the baby by the time I am 2 weeks over. Went in for our first visit today and was told they would like to induce tomorrow which I was not expecting at all and so am now freaking out.
    I was initially planning to have a natural water birth at the birth centre but obviously if I am induced I'll have to be in the main hospital. Not ideal for me and totally not what I wanted so I'm pretty worried about what is going to happen.

So, I have a few questions.

1. I apparently have to go in and have gel in the afternoon then wait to see what happens overnight. Am I right in thinking that you are left in the maternity ward overnight then taken to the birth suite once labour starts? Does this mean I will have to spend my early labour in the maternity ward? The rooms are 4 beds per room and I do not like the idea of labouring with other people sharing the room. Or do you spend the night in the birthing suite?

2. While I am waiting overnight for the gel to work, is my DF going to be allowed to stay with me? Or will they send him home and make him come back in the morning? I am pretty phobic of hospitals and am terrified of being there by myself without him but obviously it would be outside of visiting hours and I might not even be in labour yet so what will happen with that?

3. I have heard that if you go into a public hospital as a private patient you can have your own room. Is this actually true? Does anyone know how much it costs? We have insurance but I don't want to go in as a private patient and have to pay out of pocket costs and not even get any benefits. The birth centre we wanted to go to only has private rooms so I wasn't expecting to have to share and I'm quite worried about it because I don't like having my privacy invaded and I get pretty anxious about it

4. With the birth centre, you only stay for 4 hours then go home. I know I will want to be home ASAP in my own space and my own bed but will they allow me to leave so soon after an induction?

5. Has anyone had an induction and not needed an epidural? I'm worried that once we have one intervention there will just be more and more and I'm terrified of having an episiotomy and forceps etc so I figure if I can avoid the epidural I'll be better able to push him out myself without any help.

6. We are 45 mins away from the hospital. After we have bub, I want DF to be able to stay with me until we go home. There are signs everywhere in the maternity ward that say no visitors between 12-3 including partners. So what happens if bub is born say at 11:30am, is DF going to be made to go home and leave me there right after I have bub? Surely they'd let him stay with us and having bonding time with our bub?

Sorry this is so long, I hope I can get some answers before tomorrow because I need to go in tomorrow morning and let them know what I've decided to do (I have told them I want to wait until 42 weeks but they want to push for induction ASAP).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sure you will soon have plenty of answers from mums who've been induced...I have not, but thought I'd answer as best I can from friends experiences.

- May depend on the hospital but those I know have been monitored for a short time after the gel and if haven't gone into labour have been allowed to go home until they do.

- When they've returned 'in labour' they've gone directly to a birthing suite.

- you would need to check with your OB and or the admissions desk at your hospital for private in public policies and costs. I imagine this would need to be arranged in advance...

- as far as having to be induced at a certain time, that is entirely up to you I believe. My cousin just didn't turn up the day she was scheduled to because the hospital was dismissing her desire to wait longer. She ended up going into labour on her own at 2 weeks overdue. Do what feels right to you.

Good luck 👍

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post

- as far as having to be induced at a certain time, that is entirely up to you I believe. My cousin just didn't turn up the day she was scheduled to because the hospital was dismissing her desire to wait longer. She ended up going into labour on her own at 2 weeks overdue. Do what feels right to you.

Good luck 👍
    This.

Remember its completely your choice and you shouldn't have to feel pressured into doing something you don't want to.

You might also want to consider the success rate of inductions. I know for a first baby an induction is quite likely to fail (though they are usually successful for no. 2+ babies). So you might want to consider researching this and/or asking you dr/hospital about their success rates.

As long as you and bub are healthy I don't think going to 42 weeks is a problem. I've heard of a lady who went to 43 and it turns out that most women in her family also went to 43 weeks...it was normal for them to go late.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Youprobably wouldn’t be in the birthing suite until you are having regularcontractions, but will be monitored.
    2. YourDF will be able to stay with you pretty much throughout.
    3. Noidea. Try public, and if you don’t like itlet your DF make a decision and negotiate on your behalf.
    4. Dependingon the type of birth, any medications and breastfeeding. Go with the flow, don’t expect to be gonewithin any timeframe, just wait and see.
    5. Idon’t’ know that the two are aligned, but the hospital will tell you and speakup if you have concerns.
    6. No. DH can stay, he is exempt from visitation atleast for the first day or so.

I had one of the best Obs in Australia, and he doesn’t liketo go much over 7 days. Just try and notto control the people around you, just you. And trust the people who have assisted in this so many times before.

Best of luck, as I was told “now you will experience truejoy”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok weird font, sorry have no idea ...!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please remember being induced or not is completely YOUR decision. Do not be bullied into something you do not want to do. Many women give birth 42 weeks or later.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-06-2013),DarcyJ  (09-06-2013),Mathermy  (09-06-2013),saxonrose  (09-06-2013),Taiyed  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, that's my other issue. I don't want to be induced, I was born at 43 weeks as was my sister, it's just normal in my family. But they also won't let me go to the birth centre once I hit 42 weeks, induction or no induction. The other hospital is 45 minutes away from us and it's impossible to get parking so I think I'd rather be there for an induction than rushing there in labour.
    They did say that I can go over if I want to but I need to go in every day for ctg monitoring plus US every week and with the distance it's just going to be too hard to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had ds1 induced due to meconium somy story is a bit different.

Won't go into too much detail but honestly it will really just depend on how your body reacts and progresses in regards to the gel etc..

I guess with these sort of things it's important to keepan open mind about what may happen, that way if more intervention is required you won't get too disappointed.

Good luck and hopefully bub decides to come out on it's own overnight x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They might want you to be monitored every day after 42 weeks, but again, it actually is YOUR choice.

What is your gut feeling on it? How long would you be happy to go for, and then if you decided to have monitoring intermittently, would you agree to every second day for 'x' amount of days, or every 3rd day, and then every day thereafter or something like that? Don't discount your own knowledge, feelings and instincts on the matter.

Remember nothing they say is mandatory, you have every right to have a lot of input into your care, and to have your concerns listened to.

Not sure what state you are in, but there is a thing called the Australian charter of Healthcare rights, (covers all the states) and one of those rights is: Participation: I have a right to be included in decisions and choices about my care, I may join in making decisions and choices about my care and about health service planning.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/patientcharter/charter.htm
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 09-06-2013 at 20:34.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013),Taiyed  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with DD1. I was already 3cm so no gel, straight on to drip. I had no other interventions/drugs.

You can say no to inductions.

Going private means you'd have to pay the excess in your policy if you have one- you'd need to organize it pretty quick too, and there isn't much point if you want to go straight home iykwim. They will let your partner stay with you throughout.

You can always DTD or get out the breast pump to try to kick start it yourself

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-06-2013)