+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default start solids or more milk?

DS is 5mths 2 weeks, exclusively breastfed and we have been thru a very rough patch as of late. He stopped sleeping. At all. Was up 3-4 times a night and sleeping about an hour (broken up) in the day. He was feeding 2 hourly on demand and still seemed unsatisfied, screamed when i put him to sleep (wouldnt sleep) and would suck and suck and suck for ages at his last night feed before bed, then take 2-3hrs to fall asleep for the night.
    He'd get grupmy after 30min of being awake and was just generally really unsettled and of course very tired. I had to hold him all. day. long.
    So, at out wits end, the past 2 nights we have given him a 120ml bottle of formula before bed, after a breastfeed. The first night he went down without a fuss at 7 thru till 4am then had a breastfeed and slept till 8am!! and last night slet from 7pm-5am, breastfeed and slept till 7am! He's happy again too, easily lasting upto 2hrs awake.
    His nappies are over flowing, leaking thru the night.
    Giving him formula crushed me a little, but i was too distressed and exhausted to cry too much over it.
    Breastfeeding has always been physically demanding on me, ive lost a considerable amout of weight and when im tired, stressed, anxious, my milk is easily effected. I think this is why DS changed his behaviour - because my supply may have dropped this past month he's possibly also been on a growth spurt too.

Now that we seem to have nights under control again (i hope) , my question is, during the day, i am topping him up with EBM after 2 of his feeds and he takes about 40-70mls. He never took a bottl from me bbut now he easily does and gobbles it down, he's going about 4 hours between feeds the last 2 days and it is less demanding on me......Should i be pushing the solids now or does he need milk?
    I tried rice cereal last week and he pushed it out with his tounge and gagged even after i mixed pear puree thru it. However, he pretty much ate a whole banana (not mushed, as it is!) on his own (held onto it) the other day...bit of gagging but he totally enjoyed it.
    Im thinking maybe some cubes of steamed sweet potato for him to "play with" around lunch time - before his nap?....

Im confued as to which way i should go, He's hungry and seems ready enough to eat but soids or milk at his age with our struggles in mind? i dont mean solids instead of milk, i mean solids as extra and stop the ebm top ups?

Sorry for the long, complicated post.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 09-06-2013 at 08:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry LMM i don't have any answers to your questions but I'm very interested to see what other responses are.

My DD has stopped sleeping well and will be 6 months next Friday. We haven't started solids yet and she drinks lots of milk so perhaps her lack of sleep is because she is hungry??? I don't know...

It's great your DS is sleeping so well of a night! My DD went to bed at 11 and fussed nearly.every.hour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Milk is most important before 1, breast milk or formula!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you could try baby led weaning instead of purée?
    Also if you want to skip the formula maybe try taking some fenugreek to boost your supply

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a big believer in waiting till 6 months to start solids, my DD showed similar signs around 5 months of age but I just started working to increase my supply to satisfy her, but if he is able to hold and eat a banana I think that's a great cue to start BLW solids with him. Maybe just offer bits and pieces when you eat? The banana was a great start, we started with soft chunks of sweet potato & pumpkin so maybe try those next?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Glamazon For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Babies go through a sleep regression at around 4-5 months- very normal. If a formula top up at night is working and you're happy with it- that's ok!
    Once bub is happily taking solids, you'll probably find you can drop the other top ups and maybe even replace that formula with ebm if he still wants it or as a dream feed.
    Ditch rice cereal. It's gross and has no nutritional value. You can get a mesh feeder if you aren't sure about blw- or just keep going with banana and gradually introduce other fruit and veg- pumpkin and avocado were big hits to start with here as was yoghurt from 6 months

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    does banana constipate them? i think i was told this once. and to only give them banana once a week. Avocado does the oposite and keep that to once a week also.
    Yes, i am interested in BLW as he is not impressed by spoons and spoon feeding at all. I like the idea of him going at his own pace and stopping when "He's" had enough.
    Idealy id love to drop the formula feed at night but as he's sleeping and settling well, ATM im more than happy to keep it.
    We have been thru a sleep regression from 3mths old and i have mentally and physically had enough. it's effecting our whole family. DD is also waking at night too. i dont know how ppl go thru this for so long.
    Id like to work on my supply, im just so drained and exhausted right now. The fact he's giving me 4hrs breaks between feeds is already doing wonders.
    The aim of introducing some food would be so i can drop the EBM top ups after feeds. Idealy, i want to wait untill 6mths. So maybe i will. I was just confused.
    Is it normal for supply to drop around 6mth mark?

Thanks for the advice, it's helped alot.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 09-06-2013 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, well done it sounds like you are doing a great job getting little ones routine under control. We started solids around 5 months but really as just extra to milk feeds for a few months. We ditched rice cereal too. Bubs much preferred mashed pumpkin , stewed apple etc. keep going with banana but just watch as it can be constipating x

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some kids 4 hourly feeds during the day is too long, especially if they are sleeping for long stretches at night. I would offer the breast more often during the day, ditch the ebm and just offer the breast. When my DD had low weight gains at around 4 -5 months, i started offering right boob, left boob then right again. Or offering again half an hour after her feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Banana does constipate- ripe pear can help there Avocado and pear mashed onto corn thins or in yoghurt is great too (from 6 months)
    It's not normal for supply to drop at this age, but stress and exhaustion can tank your supply. Lactation cookies, fenugreek, a good bf tea (google blissful herbs- hers is excellent) and a bit of sleep (like the ff is giving you) should bring it back up You are doing really well to have come this far

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post: