+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Planning a wedding

We have a budget & selected a venue + date!

But how did you organise things I don't even know where to start.

I've got two appointments for dresses so I guess there is a start LOL!

How did you stick to budget? What was your biggest expenses?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the only advice that I can give is that you make sure that it is your wedding and not your parents. We would have loved a small 'backyard' or 'garden' wedding, but both sets of parents got their way and I hate it to this day. We had out-of-control speeches that DH's father said we had to have.
    Also, make sure that the reception cost is fixed - our reception place doubled the cost only a few months out and of course there was a cancellation fee if we did that too...and they spelt our name wrong!

As far as generally keeping the cost down - shop around for nice flowers. One place we went to was double what we ended up paying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Subbing as I have to plan too

The only thing we know so far is who we want as photographer. Lol. I told DP we will find out when she is available and plan around that. I was only half joking

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!!

I'm the opposite I want a HUGE wedding but we need a house first so we are in process! And MIL is telling us to goto the registers office so is my mum (annoying me to no end)!

Tadpoles- at the expo some photographers at the expo were 4k I almost died lol that's almost a reception!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exciting!! I love wedding plans Before we started planning dh and I both wrote down our priorities, things that were REALLY important to us. Mine: dress and photos, string quartet dh: cars. Lol we knew we wanted a relaxed atmosphere, cocktail style and we knew where we wanted it.
    We spent our budget on these things and skimped or completely left out the things which wernt important to us. Ie bonnier, cake, rehearsal dinner etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Download or buy a wedding planner checklist. It will give you a run down of what to book/buy and how far in advance you should do it. There are some great 'planners' around that will keep track of your budget too

Our biggest expense was the reception but even that was measly compared to some. Our whole wedding cost less than some friends receptions! We did things differently though, got married at 8.30am and had a champagne breakfast reception so rather than our reception costing $100 ++ pp (as they easily do!), it cost us only $30pp

Congratulations!

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our biggest expense was our photographer - we paid more than the amount you mentioned freaking out at above
    But I had a particular person in mind so was happy to pay what she asked.
    We had a medium sized wedding (just under 80 peeps) and had a morning wedding with a lunch reception.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what it is like now as i got married 3 yrs ago but when planning our wedding I lived on a site/forum called easy weddings.

But I basically started with what I couldn't get married without.

Venue
    Celebrant
    Photographer

Then just made a list (which was my budget) and worked my way through it.

I second the advice of making it what you want. My motto ended up being "I am going to p*ss someone off no matter what I do so I may as well just do what I want anyway".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you really want that photographer then that's where you start. Book a date that they're available then book your other things/ppl around that. As for budget, get some quotes for rough costs for different reception places, car hire, ceremony set up/venue, flowers, celebrant, invitations etc and work out from that what you're happy to spend then go from there. As someone else said, get yourself a wedding diary/planner or even just a book that you can write everything down. Work out your guest list too, numbers are very important and I'd try to visit a wedding expo, you will meet people face to face, they might offer good deals plus you might win something :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start with a rough guest list as this will determine venues and the general concept for your wedding and can be one of the larger expenses.

Then decide the most important thing for the day, is it the the photographer? Venue? Celebrant? Book an available date for this then find suitable places/people available on that date. Have all of the important things booked asap.

Your next thing is to send out save the dates or, if your date isn't too far away, formal invitations.

Next is booking the smaller things like the cake, florist, hair and makeup, transport, entertainment, decorators and anything else you may want like photobooth or candy buffet.

Also, depending on the dresses you want, you need to leave a fair amount of time for ordering your dresses because companies close for weeks at a time during the year, fittings and any alterations you and the bridesmaids may need. This also applies for the suits.

I second getting a book for all of your planning. Keep a running total for absolutely everything because it can add up fast!