+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Can't get baby to sleep at night.

5mo DD goes down for a day sleep in 5-15 minutes. I rock her, put her down wide awake and rock the cot with my hand on her chest till she falls asleep. At night, despite a solid bedtime routine it takes at least 1-3 hours to get her to sleep. It doesn't matter if she's overtired or well rested. I put her in the cot and she screams, I pick her up and rock her and she squirms.

Over it. I can't give my 2yo enough attention at bedtime and its stressing me out. Ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got one of those glow seahorses that play lullaby's when our dd was about 6 months. After about a week she associated it with sleep and it seemed to settle her instantly. Does your lo get swaddled? I know this can help some babies. I used to bf my dd to sleep when nothing else worked, even if she had just fed. Does bf or a bottle help settle your lo?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Missabubble For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to add, could it be gas pains? If she is still squirming when you pick her up? I know my dd went through bouts of this and refused to sleep.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Missabubble View Post
    We got one of those glow seahorses that play lullaby's when our dd was about 6 months. After about a week she associated it with sleep and it seemed to settle her instantly. Does your lo get swaddled? I know this can help some babies. I used to bf my dd to sleep when nothing else worked, even if she had just fed. Does bf or a bottle help settle your lo?
    I'm having trouble with DD (10 months) at night time as well.. but I use a gow worm toy that plays lullaby's as well and lights up. I only ever let her see it at bed time and she associtaes it with sleeping- it's not everything and it's still a struggle, but it does help settle her as it stops the squirms/wriggling and calms her.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 09-06-2013 at 15:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS2 is nearly 10 months and we have so much trouble getting him to stay asleep at night time. I cuddle and rock him to sleep (I know I shouldn't) and put him in his cot once he is out like a light then without fail every night usually 30 mins after I put him down he is up again and we go through the whole thing again. I never had this problem with my older 2 and their bedtime routine was exactly the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Duckduck, this isn't a 'solution' as such...but can you focus on your DD1 first, putting her to bed as you usually would etc Then put bub to bed later?

I've started doing this with DS2 (3mths) because I felt so bad that DS1 wasn't getting proper book/cuddle time before bed anymore.

It sucks having to eat in to 'my' time of an evening, but at least DS1 doesn't miss out anymore. With only 1 to settle at a time, I'm finding its faster for both of them now. Just an idea for short term

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cuddle my 7 month old to sleep every night. I usually eat dinner with him across my lap then we go to bed together - partly cause he's a terrible sleeper and I know I have to get to bed early too to get enough sleep to cope (another story altogether! ). Would be very difficult with a toddler too though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi DDG

What time do you try to put her down?

Ds2 gets tired and cranky around 6 but if I tried to put him to sleep then it would take me hours, he seems to need lots of wind down time at night. Instead I just put him in the carrier while I carry on with ds1's routine and he dozes on and off in there. I don't have DH home at bed time so this is the only way I can manage it.

I then can put him to bed quite easily 7.30-8 or so,leaving me free to cuddle DS1.

No decent advice sorry but we are a bit the same here

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A baby carrier (sling) and Co-sleeping saved my sanity with two small ones.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 09-06-2013 at 16:23.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I normally aim to have her asleep by 7, so bath at 5.45 then feed for ages then try to get her to sleep. I think Pesca and KK might have the right idea actually though. If I got DS to sleep at 7 then DD after that at 7.30 or 8 I probably would be far more relaxed and they'd both wake up around 8am. Perfect, will give it a go. Thanks ladies