+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    Buy a newspaper? I guess if everyone is reading it online they need to make money somehow.
    That's why the website is covered in advertising - to pay for it. Even with the subscription, the website is still full of ads.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes but I'm assuming (and could be wrong) that the subscription fee would make up for the money they lose out on with people not buying newspapers anymore? The ads may pay for the website but they are still losing sales.

*the bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal*

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (08-06-2013),Mod-Uniquey  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Find a better source than the red-neck stomping grounds of news.com.au?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Abc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    Yes but I'm assuming (and could be wrong) that the subscription fee would make up for the money they lose out on with people not buying newspapers anymore? The ads may pay for the website but they are still losing sales.

*the bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal*
    Seems like bad business logic to me, the advertising revenue online will drop as the readers refuse to pay the fee, so what then? Raise the fee and send the paying customers to cheaper (or free) alternatives?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ABC
    Ninemsn
    Yahoo7
    Business spectator
    Sky news
    The Guardian's new Aus website

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    News.com.au and it's state newspapers (couriermail etc) are now subscription only. Where else can I go to read the news now!!!
    I can still access news.com.au on my phone as per usual

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (08-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dunno, I really don't see anything wrong with paying to read online? Newspapers were never free were they? I want to know that our journalists are still going to get paid and our industry won't go belly up- although that is looking more and more likely. Although I will say, I feel less than kind about the ones who are allowing the likes of Gina Rinedhart to buy shares. I think I would just stick with ABC myself!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (08-06-2013),MissMuppet  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's an app for channel 7 news

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Seems like bad business logic to me, the advertising revenue online will drop as the readers refuse to pay the fee, so what then? Raise the fee and send the paying customers to cheaper (or free) alternatives?
    More and more news sources are starting to change to subscription only, and therefore we'll end up how it was in the beginning - user pays, and advertising will exist within the pages. Exactly the same as when it was hard copy only. A friend of mine posted a link to the first newspapers online last week (think it was from about 20 years ago).

At that time, you could buy a newspaper for 20c, and it took 2hours to download a newspaper, which cost you $5 per hour for downloading.

Business logic shows that others will follow suit, which means we're more likely to have readers choose to subscribe as there'll be less options to choose from which are free. Only site which I don't think can ask for subscription would be abc.

Makes me think about foxtel. People can get tv for free from lots of other alternatives these days, but foxtel seems to be doing well enough for itself.