+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can recommend Air New Zealand for your situation. You can buy 2 rows if seats with that many people and they convert to 'sky beds'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second everything the above posters have said, you can book seats with cribs in front of them for the two 9 month olds. As you have other family travelling with you I think you should be ok as you can do "shifts" If you manage to get the seats with cribs, you may not need to book an extra seat for the twins, but I'd deffinatly reccomended one for your older boy if finances allow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bassinets are great but check with your airline what the age, weight and height limit is. When DS was 12 months he fitted into the bassinet on a air pacific flight but at 7 months Thai Air deemed DD to old (so we lied and said she was 5 months as she is tiny anyway).

I second everything that has been said but whenever we fly at night it backfires and the kids do not sleep well and trying to keep them quiet on a sleeping plane is hard work.

We flew from Perth on Tuesday night and I think I b/f DD for 3/4 of it and DS, who is 3.5 was awake for the entire 4.5 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Big Z,

I think that organisation is going to be your saviour!!!!

My baby hasn't arrived yet but I used to be a Trolly Dolly in a previous life so hopefully I can help a little bit. I posted in a previous thread about feeding on take off and landing and added whatever else I thought might be helpful so have pasted it here:

"The recommendation of feeding on take off and landing is to encourage the baby to swallow which will in turn equalise their little ears and thus help to relieve any pressure. Swallowing, yawning and chewing are the best ways to get little ones to equalise.

So no, doesn't necessarily have to be BF, just any kind of feeding is a great idea and will help your baby with the pressure changes.

Don't forget to request a bulkhead/babycot seating position. Depends on the airline/aircraft but almost all have babycots available. Just don't get a fright at the state of the baby cot, just put down your own wraps/blankies - the cots were never cleaned when I was flying so were pretty skanky but at least they provided some assistance on a long haul flight with no free seats and strung out mummies and daddies.

FYI you cannot use the babycot for take off or landing or during times the seatbelt sign is on.

Depending on the airline you can also request a baby pack (need to request prior to the actual day of flying though) which will have some extra baby stuff that may be helpful.

Good luck!"

I noticed another poster mentioned purchasing an extra seat, if finances permit this is a great idea but I am aware that this is an impossibility to most people, especially with the expense of flying/travelling in the first place!

If I could afford it though I would definitely do this - if I had pots of money i would get another seat in business or first and then the adults/carers could take turns getting a decent nap!!!

Don't be shy when checking in and mention to all the staff you come across how many kids you have travelling with you and that you don't have your husband with you (conveniently forget to mention your other rellies that will be helping).

If the staff are any good they should move heaven and earth to make the whole ordeal more bearable i.e. assistance with bags, golf cart to the gate, priority boarding, playing with the kids inflight (some trolley's are notoriously clucky and have been known to play with kids and babies during the quiet times on long haul flights for hours!!! they take them to one of the galleys and play with them or just cuddle)

The check in staff are the ones that will ascertain if you get a bulkhead seat with baby cot positions but it is a first come first serve system generally. If they have already allocated these positions to passengers who checked in prior to you then they are gone. So try to check in nice and early. I would also call the airline a few days prior to travel and also again the day before and BEG them to reserve babycot position seating for you.

It is a massive no no but after the lights are dimmed in the cabin if the kids are already not sleeping and cramped then put them on the floor at your feet. Just a warning though, if you get a nasty trolley dolly (skyhag) she will tell you off and give you a safety lecture and make you get the kids off the floor. So just be sly about it. I should be responsible and mention that i do not recommend this as it is very dangerous, but hey, you are a mummy and it is up to you.

If i can help with any questions you have just ask away

Thanks
    Reviews
    I may be flying next month with a 5mth & 23mth old on a 6hr flight - on my own.

Am I crazy??!

Would a day flight (depart 9am) or evening (depart 7pm) be better? I assumed the evening would mean a better chance of sleep, but maybe not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on which airline you fly with, you may be able to book bassinets at the time of booking. Singapore Airlines allowed us to book out bassinets when we booked our tickets 6 months before we flew.

Aside from that, feeding on take off is a great help. Flight attendants are usually super helpful. All the times that we have flown long haul (our son is 9 months and has done 4 long flights, 2 medium and as of tomorrow, 2 short flights), the attendants have reserved meals for us and served us one at a time, so that the other was free to care for bub.

You won't be able to use bassinets on landing and take off - so if you anticipate that they are going to fall asleep before landing, and you are using an ergo or other carrier, have it already clipped around your waist and have bub facing you. That way, if they fall asleep, before landing, all you have to do is take the seatbelt off and put the arm straps on, and not disturb your sleeping bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post

Am I crazy??!

Would a day flight (depart 9am) or evening (depart 7pm) be better? I assumed the evening would mean a better chance of sleep, but maybe not?
    I don't think you will be allowed to fly by yourself with two under 2yo as both kids need to be attached to your seatbelt for take off and landing.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We flew for the first time with our son when he was 22 months to Malaysia and Singapore....he was a nightmare...honestly it was the worst experience ever!!! It was a 7.5 hour flight and he slept for 1 hour only (10:30am flight). We flew Air Asia X and rented a tablet with movies in it and he wasn't that interested in it. He kept moving it so we got scared that he would break it so we took it away from him. No amount of food helped. Once he finished he looked for something else to do. We booked him a seat cause the tickets were so cheap but he spent more than half the time climbing all over his dad and me. And he wanted to run up and down the cabin. He wasn't use to sitting for so long. On the way home for a 10:30pm flight he spent close to 2 hours running up and down the cabin. By 12pm he finally fell asleep laid across 3 seats.

Being that you will have other family with you you can all take turns in entertaining the twins. They won't want to sit for long and you'll probably find that you'll end up carrying them most of the time.

Definitely recommend a seat for your oldest son!!! And recommend a quick access nappy bag too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post

Am I crazy??!

Pesca I fly frequently with my 5 mth old and 1 other child - just follow above tips. Make sure your toddler is well versed in the sedative effects of ipad. Really depends on teh child as to day or night.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (08-06-2013)