+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Long flight travel tips needed

I will be traveling in October with then an almost 2 year old (22.5 months) and 9 month old twins (all boys) to America. I haven't booked the ticket yet so would love to get some advice or tips from others that have travelled with little ones. They have never been on a plane and its not likely that they will be before then and I am worried that its going to be hell for us as we'll as everyone else on the flight.
    I won't be traveling alone I will have my husband, my mum and aunty coming along too so we at least figure we can tag team and one person can have a break every now and then.
    To top it off I get air sick and usually just take something and sleep the whole flight but this time I won't be able to do that so not sure what I will do about that one as well.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If finances allow it I would get a seat for the 22 month old and one for the twins to share (or at least it could be used for one of them to sit/sleep in at a time). It also means more room for the adults so space wise it is more comfortable for everyone.

Bring along a portable DVD player or iPad for the oldest child, with games and movies downloaded on it to help keep them occupied. Try to get the oldest child use to wearing headphones before you go so that they will be happy to use them on the plane.

Plenty of snacks, toys (quiet ones), wrap a few small new toys that you can pull out every so often.

You may prefer one straight flight or to break it up with a stop over.

The front middle seats give more leg room and the staff let our son play on the floor there so he could move around (we blocked off the ends of each seat with our bags/leg).

I would not bother with cars eats, but you can buy harnesses that are approved on most airlines.

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to Hawaii when ds was 2.5 and dd was 8 months. We had a flight from bris to sydney first and got on board at 9:30. I had dp with us, i had dd in the ergo and ds in the stroller but we had to check it. Both virgin and hawaiin airlines had screens with shows available, check when booking to save carrying extra gear, like pp said introduce so noise limited headfones now. We got 4 seats in the middle and dh and i sat on each end so ds could get up and down we also booked the bulkhead for extra room. They went to sleep not long after takeoff, i used the ergo for dd and we made sure ds wouldnt fall off.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've traveled a few times now with DS (now 2.5) on long haul trips. I agree with everyones suggestions above. I can also add:

- if you are still breastfeeding the twins, let them feed on demand. This was my number 1 saviour on the flights. It meant my DS was comforted AND sleepy. I didn't give a stuff about anybody walking by and seeing me because my baby wasn't crying or fussy.
    - bring lots of food/baby food you know they like. Baby food is not a liquid restriction so you can bring as much as you like, within reason, in the cabin. Also pack their food in your luggage in case they refuses the food in America. AT least cereal.
    - make up quick diaper packs- a diaper, 2-3 wipes and a disposable bag. That way all you need to take into the bathroom is your little pack. It's also quick to grab.
    - do the same for a change of cloths. Use a ziplock bag and have everything you need to change them into their PJs or an outfit- including a diaper change
    - pack a change of cloths for you and DH as well. In case you NEED a change due to spew, spills, etc.
    - put away some of her favourite toys now and bring them out on the plane. Like new toys all over!
    - pack a familiar blanket or toy that she sleeps with
    - if they take a dummy, pack LOTS of them. I had all of mine in a little cloth bag so DH knew where they were easily
    - once we got to our destination DS would not settle in the pack'n'play or cribs provided. We just brought him into bed with us. We all slept much better and it helped us get over the jetlag. Easier to do with one though If you do this just be prepared for the endless 'advice' from people telling you that it's not a good idea.
    - go with the flow because your routine will be out the window. If you try to force the routine it may work or you may just be hitting your head up against the wall and not enjoy your trip. One morning DS woke up at 3:30am. Instead of fighting it we went and watched the sun rise
    - jet lag took us about 1-2 weeks to get over
    - take a stroller unless you know you'll have one when you get there.
    - In retrospect I would have liked to have packed my carseat. But it meant I would have had to check it in and it was one more thing to carry. The carseats for the rental cars sucked! However you need 3 of them so this could be a real pain and maybe not worth your while.
    - talk up the trip with your oldest. For about 2 weeks before we kept telling DS that we were going on a plane and that it was going to go "up,up,up into the sky". We looked at planes and really made it exciting.
    - for your oldest bring a drink bottle (one that has a straw- thermos makes a great one) and have them take sips on take off and landing.
    - DS was starting to potty train when we last went but I put him in a nappy anyway. He still told us when he had to go but I avoided the need to rush or being unable to get him to the toilet.
    - try bringing some ginger tea with you. You can always get the hostesses to give you some hot water and it might relieve some of the air sickness for you. I feel for you here. I don't get air sick but I do get sea sick and I really don't know what I would do if I couldn't just pass out.

Hope that helps and have a great time!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CDNinOZ For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (08-06-2013),pilbarablossom  (08-06-2013),VicPark  (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The above post covers most things but a few other things to reinforce. Pack triple the amount of food/drink your kids would normally need over the time period of the flight. We chose a night flight when DS was 13 months but with hindsight I think he would have done better on a day flight when he wasn't already overtired.
    Lots of new little treats and toys, lots of dummies, alcohol hand wash, changes of clothes, favourite blankie/teddy, book the bulkhead for extra room and a meds pack of baby panadol etc. Definitely go with the flow with no routine expectations, if they want food at 2am , go for it. Have a great trip x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And definitely have more than a couple of changes of clothes for each!

I agree if you can get one seat for the twins that would be great but you pretty much pay full fare which really sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm flying to fiji on Tuesday with 4 under 5 :/

I chose a day flight basically because i figured whatever happens, my husband and I won't be sleeping, and I didn't want to arrive in the morning after no sleep and have to get through the day in a different country with no sleep and 4 kids.

I travel a lot with kids but I think everyone has already said everything I would have said

- iPad loaded up with a movie, charged and ready to go
    - kindle app with kid books on phone / iPad
    - some flights you can get their entertainment system ******ed through your iPad via in flight wifi
    - everyone do wee before getting on plane, change nappies etc
    - I unclip my bra and take my shoes off as soon as I sit down
    - ask for a blanket and pillow for any sleeping kids as they will sleep longer.
    - beware dropping the food tray on a sleeping child's head. I do this all the time.
    - easily accessible nappy + change of clothes
    - chewing gum for sore ears
    - choose your luggage with care. Ie a backpack or whatever but NOT a handbag that will repeatedly slip off your shoulder as you walk the 30 km to baggage area carrying a child
    - ditto above don't wear pants that fall down
    - be prepared. This is like the mum version of being a navy seal (my husband came up with that one actually).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also often an air hostess will offer to hold your baby for ten minutes, say yes