+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 21 years old with 27 week IUGR baby, having an amnio ?

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice, tell me what they think is the right thing to do, share stories, anything; as I'm pretty confused right now...

Basically I'm 21 years old, pregnant with my 3rd child. She is extremely tiny, measuring 3-4 weeks behind. The doctors cannot find a reason for it. I am constantly being monitored, daily ctg, twice a week visits with a professor, weekly ultrasounds. Besides being below 1 percentile in weight and growth for her gestation (currently 27 weeks), her traces have been perfect, ultrasounds are showing growth consistently even though she isn't as big as she should be. I know my dates are correct, as this was a planned pregnancy, tracked periods and early scans show around the same due date. This is my second iugr baby, my son is now almost 3 and he's fine. Born 2.4kg at 38
    weeks.

Anyway the professor has told me he would like me to go for an amnio next Thursday. I'm not sure whether to agree or not, I don't know what to think. He didn't even explain the risks involved. They already checked for Downs syndrome early on and there's no way she has it. They are looking for other chromosome abnormalities. My question is, is it safe? Anyone have any stories to share? Do you believe its a good thing to get it done? I'm only 21 and I have 2 other healthy children. I just don't know !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any experience, but can only suggest that if having the amnio, despite any 'results' or 'news' or 'diagnosis' of bub would any of it change your mind about how you feel about her? If not, and once again I have no experience and never had an amnio done, then I wouldn't get it done.

I hope that makes sense.

A.
    xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

Annalee20130  (07-06-2013)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babylove81 View Post
    I don't have any experience, but can only suggest that if having the amnio, despite any 'results' or 'news' or 'diagnosis' of bub would any of it change your mind about how you feel about her? If not, and once again I have no experience and never had an amnio done, then I wouldn't get it done.

I hope that makes sense.

A.
    xx
    This. Also, you said you had the NT test done and it came back ok, this test can also indicate other chromosomal problems as well as down syndrome so i'm not sure if an amnio is worth it? Definitely do some research or ask your dr questions before you make up your mind.

Could there be other reasons (other than bub) why your babies are small? Ie. Have they checked your thyroid etc? Not sure if it would affect size...just a thought.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I don't have any experience either I'm sorry but I hope someone on here can share theirs with you.

I'm sorry you're going through this & would encourage you to get as much information as possible so you feel comfortable with any decision you make. Please don't feel pressured into anything & get the information before doing anything. Do what you & your partner are comfortable with & ask as many questions as you can.

Good luck & I really hope some ladies can put their experiences on here for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annalee, I am currently pregnant with an iugr baby so have done some research in this area.

There are several causes of iugr including placental insufficiency. One of the reasons for iugr babies is chromosomal abnormalities, which may be why your professor has suggested an amnio. That's not to say there are any problems with your baby, it's about ruling out causes for bubs being so small. Having an amnio at this point is not to decide whether to continue the pregnancy, it is about managing your pregnancy and birth based on knowledge. It is however a very personal choice and its worth doing your research on risks vs benefits (and talk to your professor about it).

Nuchal scans are an assessment of risk of the three most common trisomies, not a diagnostic tool. We had an amnio at 14 weeks after having a high risk of Down's syndrome at our nuchal scan, our amnio results showed that bubs is chromasomally normal, which has allowed us to rule out chromosomal reasons for iugr. Our decision to have an amnio was based on where we are at in our lives, it is a very personal choice and was right for us but not for everyone.

It's a very scary time, and I'm sure you have lots of questions and concerns. I wrote everything down and spent lots of time going over everything with my OB. We covered reasons, different scenarios and possible outcomes and I feel very comfortable with his advice and decisions. I think it's worth spending time with your professor asking him to explain everything to you, including his plan for your care.

I am sorry you're going through all of this, it's a tough journey. My previous pregnancies were uncomplicated and this has been a bit of a shock to me, as I imagine it has for you. Wishing you all of the best with the rest of your pregnancy, birth and beyond.
    Last edited by workingmumma; 24-06-2013 at 07:58.