+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Red face Advice... what is going on with me?

Hi Everyone,

I thought i'd post on here because i'm pretty much incognito (except for one lovely BHer). I'm having a person issue and I don't know what to do.

We all know kids, when they start to develop self awareness the start to experience embarassment, shyness etc. So we know it's about looking into ones self... so to speak.

My issue is this; I am a serial blusher. It fluctuates and usually coincides with low self esteem. Right now, anyone is having the effect. Groups of people, realising someone is looking at me in my peripheral vision, talking to important people. Right now it's getting worse and i't shappening with peers. The most troubling is my line manager. Everytime he comes in my direction, I run.. It's not specific to him and I don't have any feelings for him, he's just the worst culprit right now.

Please people... help me out here.
    I tried beta blockers when I was 16 and also abused valium and mercyndol in high school to make me 'relax' but, it never worked.

it's not a healthy predicament to be in. I'm constantly beating myself up and this is progressing. I need some major advice. I have tried deep breathing and have fantastised about having the surgery that 'cures blushing'. Seriously, though; I don't think having my lungs deflated so they can clip a nerve is the best way to go..

Oh and to add, I spoke to my nan about it once. She said she was EXACTLY the same.
    Last edited by jenjenOo; 07-06-2013 at 16:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried addressing the self esteem issue? It seems the esteem is the cause and the blushing is the symptom, from what you've said here? Sorry if that's a dumb suggestion. I blush in similar situations but not to the extent your describing. I do know that blushing can be related to social anxiety though. I know that's not like a "here take this pill" thing to cure, but there are treatments- might be a starting point? And - can't be a fun thing to deal with xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i feel for you! i am extremely shy and suffer from excessive blushing, but mine is within the realm of normal for my level of social anxiety.

I saw a woman with a similar problem to yours on Embarrasing Bodies the other week. I think their advice was behavioural therapy?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies.
    It's something I have battled with on and off since I was a child.

I have been to more than a couple of counsellors due to PTSD, OCD and Depression stemming from a past event and I always end up ceasing the 'relationship'. My problem is; I read a lot of literature regarding health issues and psychology and when I start sessions; the minute they start to place the blame on my parents (soooo first year), I leave. One lady was $140 an hour. Unbelievable.

I guess I need to start SOMETHING. Just not sure.. what.. exactly.

Thanks again, for replying. xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suppose saying up front that its nothing to do with your parents makes them instantly think its something to do with your parents? Gah! How frustrating!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I suppose saying up front that its nothing to do with your parents makes them instantly think its something to do with your parents? Gah! How frustrating!
    Yep! My childhood had flaws but, let's get realistic; whose didn't?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This happens with me a LOT! It's so embarrassing. The worst part is that I seem to blush for no reason, like if someone talks to me about, I don't know, something totally random at the supermarket, for some reason I just blush and feel all flustered.. it makes me feel like a FREAK! And that's it, that's the reason- I think about it happeneing, think "oh my god, if I blushed right now with this person talking to me, I'd look like such an idiot" and bam, my cheeks get hot and burn red. I do it to myself with my negative inner dialogue.
    It's happeed before at job interviews, chats with friends and family.. just in ordinary, everyday situations.
    Sometimes I go months without it ever occuring and then, I guess depending on my mood (self steem, etc) it happens again.

Sorry, not very helpful I'm afraid. Just wanted to say that I feel you!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 07-06-2013 at 19:27.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with it. Blushing is gorgeous and any insensitive person who comments negatively is a bit sad!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (07-06-2013),~Marigold~  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would it help to tell the people that are around you about all of this? Then maybe they will ignore it because they know that there is nothing behind it, because you can't help it. Then because you know that they don't pay attention to it, you might not do it as much anymore.

Don't know if that would work in your situation but I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could hypnotherapy help at all??