+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula recommendations.

My 3 week and 6 day old is constantly feeding, all day all night and I often don't get much of a chance to refill (once I do he gets his feed and goes back to sleep). I know he's getting my supply up but it's not very fun. Can anyone recommend a formula to top him up, I'm not planning on using all the time, I'm just wanting something to save my sanity. Also, as a baby that only had a poo every second day, something that won't block him up! Please help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bellamy's Organic every time!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's frustrating and hard, but topping up with formula will mean bub isn't feeding from you as often and your supply can diminish.
    It generally takes 6 weeks for your supply to really get going and to establish a good breastfeeding relationship. It's normal for babies to cluster feed especially because their tummies are so small and they are growing so quickly.
    Maybe just try to take it one day at a time and see how you go. It's very tiring being a new mum and sometimes you just need a bit of support and encouragement that you can do this!
    If you are really determined to introduce formula I'd go an organic one like Bellamy's as hopefully the ingredients are a bit better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'll stick it out, the last thing I want to do is ruin my supply. Although its good to know the one that could get me through the dark nights - where do I get that one from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, how do you take fenugreek and where can you get nursing tea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should be able to get Bellamy's from the supermarket-Coles or Woolies.
    If you go into a health food store you can get fenegriek tablets, have a browse or just tell them you're looking for something to help with your supply.
    Also Pinky McKay makes some biscuits for breastfeeding I think. And there will be recipes on the Internet for biscuits and things to help your suppy, just google

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and look up Blissful Herbs, she makes amazing tea's for women. For pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also try motillium tablets, if your GP will prescribe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemianGypsy View Post
    Oh and look up Blissful Herbs, she makes amazing tea's for women. For pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding.
    I second the tea. For tablets- try herbs if gold breastfeeding support- fenugreek and blessed thistle. Don't bother with Pinky's biscuits as they are very pricey- type lactation cookies into the search on here for an excellent recipe

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It sounds as though bub is probably going through a growth spurt, I totally agree with pp's, that adding formula will possibly make your supply worse.

Kellymom is an awesome site with heaps of info all about breastfeeding, here is a good article all about helping with low supply

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

All the best with it. It's tough to begin with, but babies nursing habits do definitely settle with time.