+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is she too big to be rear facing?

My daughter is 3 1/2 months old and over the last few weeks she has been getting increasingly more worked up in the car. Prior to this I'd often think she was asleep in the car as she was so quiet or if she started crying, it would last max 30 seconds before she stopped. However now, the episodes of crying and screaming seem to be getting more frequent, more intense and longer lasting. I noticed the other day that she was kicking the back of the seat in the car and thinking maybe she's too big or something, though there is a guide on the seat that says she should be rear facing while her shoulders are below a certain height and she's still well below that line. I've taken a photo of her in the seat as I can't imagine how she'll fit for another 2 1/2 months, where are her legs supposed to go??

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1370537472.325730.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1370537488.559833.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She looks fine to me. No way would I turn her early, there is a reason they say 6 months. My dd went through a similar phase- a mirror and new toys worked for us

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (07-06-2013),VicPark  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you think that maybe she just wants to touch her toys but because of their position she cant?? Id give her a toy that she can hold onto and play with while in the car and see if that helps. I Wouldnt move he forward facing for a while yet. Is That a bassinet or a convertable? I found dd grew out of the bassinet quickly so we had to swap to a convert seat and she fitted much better in that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From the angle of the photo she looks a little upright. Does the seat recline further? When my father first installed our spare car seat in his car he didn't adjust the base correctly for rear facing and the seat was very upright with little leg room

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (07-06-2013),Lauzy83  (07-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-06-2013),Maybelline  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with waggers, she looks a bit upright. My dd is 4 months and looks much the same (but more reclined) legs touching the back isn't really an issue.

if you look up pics of older kids in extended rearward facing their legs touch but they 'froggy' them. If her shoulders are nowhere near the line I would not turn her. Plus, I know my dd (who has better then average head control for a 4 month) would not have the strength to go forward facing.

can you pop a toy in with her? Sometimes dd gets upset in the car but we just give her a toy and she will happily munch away on it.

Eta: we actually have the same butterfly toy and that's the one we use! Lots of different parts to feel and chew! Dd loves it!!
    Last edited by F&A; 07-06-2013 at 04:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you have the carseat professionally installed? If not, I suggest you do to make sure the recline is the way it should be. Please, please, please do not turn her. There is no way she is too big to be RFing. My DS2 is a big boy, 12.5kgs at 11 months and off the chart for height and he is still RFing. Their necks are nowhere near strong enough to go FFing and the obsession we have in Australia with turning babies forward as soon as we can is frightening.

Many European countries keep kids RFing well into toddlerhood and beyond because it is so much safer for them (they have different and, IMO, far superior laws and specifications around car seats in Europe). Most babies I know go through phases of hating RFing. I try and drive over nap time or already mentioned, give her something she can hold or touch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Looks fine. I had my second rear facing until she was 13 months and she's reasonably tall (75th percentile for height and 50th for weight). Keep her rear facing for as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What moxy said.

3 months is far too young to turn FF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I was also goin to say the seat looks a bit too upright. And it looks like a safe and sound which have higher shoulder markers so will prob have to stay rear facing until at least 12 months ish. My dd is 9 months and still rear facing (sns seat) happily and will be for much longer she is tall for her age and still below the markers. We also have a mirror and rotate the toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also just to add it would be illegal to turn her forward facing now, at least in Victoria. Good luck with playing around the seat/toys op!