Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reporting to DHS for hearing that someone might be smoking a bit of pot is way over board imo. Smoking pot does not make someone a bad parent, a child neglected or abused. It means a parent has smoked a bit of pot. Big deal.

I also think reporting because a boyfriend is living there seems really unnecessary especially when you don't know the situation.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

mum2twinboys  (07-06-2013),SugarSkull  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    I have never smoked pot but I can't see the difference between that, and the parents that drink alcohol a couple of times a week. As long as the kids are not neglected in any way, and they don't do it in front of them, I don't think it's a big deal.
    Yup, I completely agree. I was going to say the same thing but didn't want to get my head chewed off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    No. You can't report gossip.
    Completely agree, you don't have proof so it is just gossip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    I have never smoked pot but I can't see the difference between that, and the parents that drink alcohol a couple of times a week. As long as the kids are not neglected in any way, and they don't do it in front of them, I don't think it's a big deal.
    I totally agree with you however alcohol is legal and pot isn't.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (07-06-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (07-06-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    I totally agree with you however alcohol is legal and pot isn't.
    Do states differ on this? I thought many states had decriminalised..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Do states differ on this? I thought many states had decriminalised..
    It is not decriminalised in all states, every state is different.

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry off topic but to reply to the above posts....

Is cannabis illegal in Australia?

It is illegal to use, possess, grow or sell cannabis in Australia, but the penalties for cannabis offences are different in each state and territory. In some states, if someone is caught with a ‘small amount’ of cannabis they may be given a $50 fine, while in other states they may be charged with a criminal offence and receive a much larger fine, or even be sentenced to jail. The definition of a ‘small amount’ of cannabis also differs between states and territories. In response to increases in hydroponic cannabis cultivation (cannabis grown in nutrient rich solutions usually under artificial light), the Australian Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act (1985) was amended in 2006. The amendment reduced the amount of indoor cultivated cannabis needed to qualify for a ‘commercial quantity’ and ‘large commercial quantity’.

What is the difference between decriminalisation and legalisation?

Some jurisdictions have decriminalised minor cannabis offences, such as the possession of a ‘small amount’ of the drug for personal use. This means that the offence can be dealt with by a civil penalty, such as a fine, rather than by receiving a criminal charge. Speeding is a good example of an offence that is commonly dealt with by a civil penalty.

If an offence is decriminalised, it does not mean that it is legal. Legalisation of cannabis would mean that cannabis would no longer be an illicit drug, but would be a legal drug like alcohol and tobacco.

Which states and territories have decriminalised cannabis?

The following states and territories have decriminalised minor cannabis offences. Any cannabis offence is still illegal in these areas.

Australian Capital Territory

The Australian Capital Territory introduced a civil penalty system for the possession of ‘small amounts’ of cannabis in 1993. If someone is caught with up to two non-hydroponic cannabis plants, or up to 25 grams of marijuana (cannabis plant material), they receive a $100 fine with 60 days to expiate (pay the fine) instead of a criminal charge. Instead of paying the fine, the person may choose to attend a drug assessment and treatment program.

South Australia

In 1987, South Australia was the first state to decriminalise minor cannabis offences. The possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana, 20 grams of hash (the resin from the cannabis plant), one non-hydroponic plant or cannabis smoking equipment leads to a fine from $50 to $150 with 60 days to expiate.

Northern Territory

Since 1996, adults found in possession of up to 50 grams of marijuana, one gram of hash oil, 10 grams of hash or cannabis seed, or two non-hydroponic plants can be fined $200 with 28 days to expiate rather than face a criminal charge.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-06-2013),MissMuppet  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Of course you can report, but I doubt with the info you have child protection will even investigate. Yes pot is illegal. But the criteria for investigation and removal is imminent danger, either physically or emotionally. If you had said they have no food in the cupboards, they are beating the kids along with the smoking I would say def notify.

I don't smoke pot, but I agree minimal use away from the children doesn't make someone a bad parent. True, alcohol is legal, but really, do we notify on a couple that have a glass of wine once the kids go to bed?

I applaud the fact you care for the welfare of the kids, but DoCS are so snowed under and under funded, based on your info, they won't investigate.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Eko  (07-06-2013),IvyRain  (07-06-2013),SugarSkull  (07-06-2013)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with others that you can always report it if it concerns you. However OP I would not call DOCS myself with secondhand information. For starters whether or not the sources are good they could be wrong and you could waste the time of whomever you report to. Also just on another note, I get that marijuana is illegal however I think there is much more damage done children at the hands of parents who drink excessively. So personally for me if I heard about someone smoking marijuana I would not automatically think their children were in danger/neglected etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    While not may not apply in this case, I think people should realise that "gossip" may be enough to begin an investigation, especially if several people have repeated the same or other concerns. If I were to be told by a man that his ex wife is beating the children regularly, then I would have to consider reporting it... It's not my job to investigate whether its true.