+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sick toddler- what food do you offer

DS (21 months) is currently sick with an ear infection. He is on day 2 of antibiotics. Has not eaten much for 3 days. Today so far he has had 1/2 a piece of toast, some custard with probiotic mixed in, 3 mini rice cakes with peanut butter, 1/2 a jar of rice pudding, a few spoonfuls of soup. He is drinking fluids ok. He is a very fussy eater to start with so it's hard when he is rejecting the few things he will normally eat. What do you give your sick toddler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS (3) threw up all night Tuesday night and was not himself at all yesterday. All he ate yesterday is 2 arrowroot biscuits, a yoghurt and some plain 2minute noodles with chicken. That is all he would accept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I give them whatever they can handle, but I care more about them staying hydrated then fed when they're sick, so as long as they're still getting plenty of fluids, then that is all you can hope for when they are sick and little.

Ear infections make you completely miserable (as someone who has suffered with them my whole life) so if your little one is eating like a sparrow then don't stress too much. The antibiotics could be making him feel a little nauseous too, so I would just stick to bland and basic food like toast, clear soup, rice, banana that sort of thing.

The antibiotics should kick in soon (usually around day 2) so hopefully his appetite will return soon and he'll be feeling a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    dd has eaten less than a bird the last 3 days. shes had a virus. i offer fluids, plain food, keep off dairy. i think she has a sore throat as she has a peference for those puree fruit squeezy pouch things atm.
    I also get her to have a morning aleep and an arvo sleep and dose her up on panadol before an earlier bedtime. Im giving her a bath mid-morning, seems to re-fresh her. Their little bodies need rest to recover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When my kids have ear infections chewing seems to really upset them, so I offer soft foods like yoghurt, custard, pureed fruit/vegies, milk, etc. Basically whatever they want. I try & offer food 1/2 hour after a dose of panadol/nurofen as they will most likely manage it better if they feel better.

For gastro that's a different matter and I only offer bland foods such as toast, pasta, rice, dry biscuits until they are better and avoid dairy foods til they are better too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make chicken soup with crusty garlic bread and as its a favourite the kids eat it even if sick. They seem to like the dunking bread into soup action. I also offer door after medication.

Banana on toast is another favourite and dry nutri grain.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app