+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    My son was BF for 10 days before I went on medication that was not BF safe, DD only got a few days.
    Surely that doesn't have anything to do with being uneducated does it? If it isn't safe, it isn't safe...

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Surely that doesn't have anything to do with being uneducated does it? If it isn't safe, it isn't safe...
    It was an anti depressant. I could have kept BF and taken a different kind (may not have worked as well but who knows). I was struggling with BF and the excuse to stop BF because of medication was welcome. But I never really knew how important BF was because I didn't educate myself about it before DS was born...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I felt guilt because there was never a question in my mind that I wouldn't breastfeed. I was totally unprepared for it. Then I read all these comments on here saying things like "not breastfeeding wasn't a option for me, there is nothing that would stop me doing it" etc and it just compounded my guilt. I also have had people tell me I'm disgusting for buying formula. And I've had someone come up when I was giving my bubs EBM and have a massive go at me about the dangers of ffing
    That is awful. There is no excuse for anyone to speak to a new mum that way. I will say that I read a lot of the same 'there was no other option for me' stories and sometimes I think. Really? Are there this many people in one place (aka forum) who can power through any BFing issue and continue to BF? We don't know in honesty who is telling the truth and who isn't, so I read those threads with a healthy dose of skepticism

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was formula fed from 4mths old. Did i feel guilty? YES! because I WAS STARVING HER ALL THAT TIME!!! she was wasting away, unsettled and unhappy. i needed to feed her ASAP and my milk was not doing the job. Thank god for formula.
    Did i feel sad? YES - because i really wanted to be able to do it, no one could explain why i couldnt.
    In the end, it was a relief for everyone. DD was happy, thriving and actually SLEEPING! and i finally got to enjoy being a mum.

My DS has been exclusively breastfed sine birth and we are still going strong. I had to give it another shot. Am i crazy? probably. I have no regrets for putting dd onto formula. If i was struggling 2nd time around. id formula feed in a heartbeat. It's not worth the stress.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 06-06-2013 at 13:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree, I think unless people have been in a specific situation, then how can you possibly know what you would do? I would never be so rigid in my views if I hadn't experienced something, kind of smacks of the whole "I would never have an abortion even if I was raped" kind of thing. HATE those types of comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    That is awful. There is no excuse for anyone to speak to a new mum that way. I will say that I read a lot of the same 'there was no other option for me' stories and sometimes I think. Really? Are there this many people in one place (aka forum) who can power through any BFing issue and continue to BF? We don't know in honesty who is telling the truth and who isn't, so I read those threads with a healthy dose of skepticism

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    It was an anti depressant. I could have kept BF and taken a different kind (may not have worked as well but who knows). I was struggling with BF and the excuse to stop BF because of medication was welcome. But I never really knew how important BF was because I didn't educate myself about it before DS was born...
    Oh ok, I see what you mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did feel guilty , some times I still feel guilty about it. Sad and disappointed. I think its stems from really whole heartedly truly wanting to, it for various reasons didnt pan out.

But

The judgements, nasty comments and evil stare downs don't help either

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Sent from my ... Using the.... Does it even really matter

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are so many different reasons why a mum doesn't BF that how could anyone possibly throw all FFers in the same basket as 'you didn't try hard enough!' or similar. It shows a very ignorant attitude IMO of those who feel that way or need to push their own agenda

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (06-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I felt guilt with my first because it wasn't what I wanted or planned. I knew it wasn't the optimal outcome but I did however accept that I had done all I could with my limited knowledge at the time and the limited amount of support I was able to find.

I now know that my 'trusted professionals' had access to greater support which could've avoided all the feelings of inadequacy that I went through because of it. Although having since breastfed my second I find the judgement is just as evident as I felt it to be when I formula fed and don't think it matters how you feed your baby a lot of Mums feel judged. Hearing 'Are you STILL feeding?' 'What feeding again already?' hurt just as much as the suggestions about formula feeding, infact maybe more. I more often than not got when formula feeding 'Happy Mum= Happy Bub' and 'At least you tried....' etc.

I still feel guilty, perhaps more guilty that one was formula fed and one has been breastfed. Its like I could've done more or something... *sigh*
    That is a good point I'm sure BFers also feel pressured for their choices too. So why are FFers and BFers so split? Why can't one person's choice be their choice alone, without 'guilt' in general?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (06-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought I felt guilty at the time, but on reflection I think I was just really disappointed that it didn't work for us. I think I was getting a lot of messages from various places that suggested I should feel guilty so I assumed that's why I was upset. Every logical part of me knows putting DD on formula when we did was the best thing for her.

Sometimes I think women who choose formula do so having researched the pros and cons and in many cases experienced the challenges BF can bring. To assume they're uneducated angers me. I would argue that those who charge ahead with BF at all costs due to a disproportionate belief in the benefits need to be educated as well.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (31-12-2013),beebs  (06-06-2013),Cdro  (01-01-2014),risfaerie  (06-06-2013)