+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love nothing more then to give my baby boy formula right now but he will not take to it at all he's 9months old and has 6teeth and I'm in so much pain my motto is if baby's happy mums happy..who are we to judge if a mother chooses to bf or ff some have a choice some don't...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggle6 View Post
    Yes, NEED being the word. Not deserve, which you previously used. That to me implies that you are doing something that is better, therefore you are entitled to it. People who aren't BF, therefore don't deserve it. That to me says you think you are better.

I would agree with need, not deserve.
    I apologise, deserve wasn't the right word to use for the point I was trying to get across. Reading Louise's comments in this thread, after seeing similar comments bashing bf'ing by her several times in the past, p!ssed me off and I didn't exactly take the time to get my point across how I intended.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (01-01-2014),Atropos  (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Hmm. I have done both. My first had formula from birth. Formula feeding was easier for me then, that's why I changed. If bf was so easy and well supported, we wouldn't have one of the lowest bf rates in the world.

I'm curious as to why you didn't bf if ff was do hard?

Formula comes in a tin - with instructions. Boobs do not.
    I didn't BF as I didn't like it... we tried for 2 days in hospital and both myself and baby didn't cope and he was being ff in the nursery anyway so I decided to fully ff him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I didn't BF as I didn't like it... we tried for 2 days in hospital and both myself and baby didn't cope and he was being ff in the nursery anyway so I decided to fully ff him
    So what was it that you would've liked support with ff? You had the midwives supporting you by feeding your baby and you resting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yikes so many stereotypes and generalisations about formula.

FFing isn't always easier. Bfing isn't always hard. Sometimes it is sometimes it isnt.

My experience has been far from hospitals pushing and supporting formula, in fact I found totally the opposite. I was made to feel complete crap with my first child for even considering formula. And the amount of 'info' slash ramming it down my throat was huge, not just from middies but CMN. I could go on and on how this was so but won't go there.

There is pretty much zero support for formula, both in regard to usage and social support. Bfing mums are glorified and patted on the back for being 'strong', 'persistant', 'putting their baby first'. FFers are given pretty much no guidance or assistance in hospital bc that would be somehow encouraging it. Yes it's easy to clean a bottle. But what formula do you use? my two kids I used different formula bc they reacted differently. What about reflux with formula? should the powder infant gaviscon be coupled with reflux formula? What are the best teats for wind?

Babies dont 'deserve' bm. It's the best option usually, but what they *deserve* is to be fed. period.

I know from the outside ffers here may look overly sensitive. But on here there's a huge amount of formula bashing passed off as bfing support. And the 'truth'. Bfing is extremely well supported on this forum, as it is in society from a social perspective. It's ironic that the majority of women ff past 6 months but the majority are judged so harshly by the minority.

Sick of the competition. Bfers are strong, great mums doing their best. ffers are strong great mums doing their best.
    Last edited by delirium; 01-01-2014 at 13:29. Reason: gah why don't I proofread??

7. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (01-01-2014),babyla  (01-01-2014),beebs  (28-01-2014),Chippa  (01-01-2014),Cicho  (01-01-2014),Giggle  (01-01-2014),kw123  (01-01-2014),laray  (01-01-2014),MrJones&Me  (01-01-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-01-2014),Purple Lily  (01-01-2014),risfaerie  (01-01-2014),snowqu33n  (02-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (01-01-2014),~Marigold~  (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    im sorry of I offended anyone with any comment/s I made. 18 years ago there was no where near the level of support/info/websites etc that there is now and when I struggled with finding the right formula and teats for my son it was hard. I was made by the MCHN nurses to feel like a failure and that BF was the only way to feed your baby. I know that many BF mums struggle and I applaud those who can do it but I chose to FF my son as soon as I made that decision I was left to my own devices and it was hard- I was a first time mum with no help from anyone.. not even the nurses who I thought would have supported me. 18 years is a long time and things have obviously changed as has been pointed out and that is fantastic that BF and FF mums can get support.. I am offended that I have been labelled as bashing BF'ing mums- why on earth would I do that- What offends me the most is those who are into BF that they think its the be all and end all of having a baby- its not.... we all struggle with motherhood in one form or another- im yet to meet anyone who has had an easy ride on the motherhood path.. so instead of being negative nellies, lets support each other.... I honestly didn't mean to insult anyone- I just feel so strongly about FF and my experiences 18 years ago but I have learnt that times have changed.. I apologise profusely to you all and I will keep my opinions to myself from now one and my big mouth shut !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So what was it that you would've liked support with ff? You had the midwives supporting you by feeding your baby and you resting.
    I would have liked someone to show me how to make up a bottle and explain it all to me NOT hand me a video and put me in a room and shut the door 2 days after I gave birth-- maybe I was wrong to expect some compassion and help from the midwives who were willing to sit with me for hours on day 1 to try and feed yet when I made the decision I was made to feel like a bad mother-- maybe I expected to much...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    im sorry of I offended anyone with any comment/s I made. 18 years ago there was no where near the level of support/info/websites etc that there is now and when I struggled with finding the right formula and teats for my son it was hard. I was made by the MCHN nurses to feel like a failure and that BF was the only way to feed your baby. I know that many BF mums struggle and I applaud those who can do it but I chose to FF my son as soon as I made that decision I was left to my own devices and it was hard- I was a first time mum with no help from anyone.. not even the nurses who I thought would have supported me. 18 years is a long time and things have obviously changed as has been pointed out and that is fantastic that BF and FF mums can get support.. I am offended that I have been labelled as bashing BF'ing mums- why on earth would I do that- What offends me the most is those who are into BF that they think its the be all and end all of having a baby- its not.... we all struggle with motherhood in one form or another- im yet to meet anyone who has had an easy ride on the motherhood path.. so instead of being negative nellies, lets support each other.... I honestly didn't mean to insult anyone- I just feel so strongly about FF and my experiences 18 years ago but I have learnt that times have changed.. I apologise profusely to you all and I will keep my opinions to myself from now one and my big mouth shut !
    Funny how experience of that time 19 years for me were the exact opposite. I was made to learn how to use formula before I left hospital. I had to buy a yin and show them I had it incase I couldn't feed in the middle of the night. I was made to feel dirty for breastfeeding. At every opportunity the much and go tried to get me to swap to ffs as it was so much easier (their words not mine).

Now I breastfeed off and on for nearly 20 years. The support for breastfeeding is so much better now. So is the support for bottle feeding. The 2 closest women to me have ff 6 kids.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The hospital I was at made me leave hospital without any formula - I asked for a small amount to go home (they had put DS on formula after about 3 days). Nope. I had to go with DH post cs to a frigging shopping centre to buy formula and bottles hoping that DS didn't get hungry before we were home and ready. We were naive pre his birth and had assumed I would be able to breast feed. After 7 days in hospital with complications, it was not going to happen. A close family friend met us at home with me sterilising bottles in a sauce pan of boiling water. She had her DH leave and buy me a steriliser that second. Clearly my experience was one not of support nor education. There were no "what if bf doesn't work out classes" so I feel I was unsupported, uneducated and until a ff friend visited very, very unprepared.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    The hospital I was at made me leave hospital without any formula - I asked for a small amount to go home (they had put DS on formula after about 3 days). Nope. I had to go with DH post cs to a frigging shopping centre to buy formula and bottles hoping that DS didn't get hungry before we were home and ready. We were naive pre his birth and had assumed I would be able to breast feed. After 7 days in hospital with complications, it was not going to happen. A close family friend met us at home with me sterilising bottles in a sauce pan of boiling water. She had her DH leave and buy me a steriliser that second. Clearly my experience was one not of support nor education. There were no "what if bf doesn't work out classes" so I feel I was unsupported, uneducated and until a ff friend visited very, very unprepared.
    I had a similar experience with DS1, except DH and I had no idea what we needed to buy, was 22 and had no idea how to make bottles etc. Thank god my dad and step mum met us at the shops, showed us what we needed, insisted on paying for it and hired me a breastpump. 2 weeks later when I ended up at the ED with a bad case of mastitis, I was treated like crap for saying I wanted to switch to FF. I have had some awful stuff said to me about FF over the years, most recently that I was basically poisoning my 6 month old.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app