+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default feeding bubs to sleep..

Whats so wrong about feeding my 5mth old to sleep?
    I was told to stop this "habit" as it will cause 'snack feeding' and it means no one else will be able to put him to sleep any other way...Well, im the one with him all day long so im the one who has to put him to sleep?! I was also told he is not learning to put himself to sleep - what 5mth old does?! We can deal with that when he's older?
    Im sick of the fighting and screaming happening in my arms while i rock him off to sleep (which doesnt work anymore) if i dont feed him to sleep. Its become too stressful, he cries himself to sleep and i hate it. Cat naps too, probably because he went to sleep so upset.

It takes 3mins and he's out like a light, i can pop him straight into bed and he will sleep 1-2hrs. He is obviously telling me he wants this and likes this. Why would i not do this for him, he's just a baby wanting comfort and he knows where to get it from.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Lansta  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you and your bubba are happy with it then its really not anyone else's business. Unless they are planning to come over and help you deal with a screaming baby whenever you need them? Don't second guess yourself mama, sounds like you know exactly what you are doing
    Sometimes in parenting we need to take a laalaaalaa approach and block out all of the other 'noise' except our own instinct and the cues from our babies.

Love and luck x

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Lansta  (05-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think you've answered your own question. feeding to sleep, or feeding before a sleep feels right to you and your bub so continue to do it
    Do you have a drink before bed? maybe he just wants a little drink, a cuddle and some quiet time to help wind him down so he can go off to sleep nicely. a lot of breastfed babes are settled before sleep times in this way. keep doing it if you want to there's nothing wrong with it
    he'll let you know if he doesn't want milk; sometimes a few quick sucks and a cuddle are all thats needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    lso you're right, its not a problem feeding to sleep if you're always there to do it. I did this with my DS and when he was at daycare or with DH when i worked they found their own ways to sort out his sleep. They can often develop little sleep cues which are different to what you and he do when they're looked after by others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tresillian told me the same thing, Karitane though told me to continue.
    Breasts aren't only for nourishment but for comfort as well, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with comforting your baby to sleep

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have been breastfeeding for 9 years straight now, and have fed all three of my children to sleep while they were small. It is a very natural thing to do, breastfeeding actually creates brain chemicals which make bub drowsy, it's natures way. Not only that, it creates the same brain chemicals to make you drowsy, so that you can get some much needed sleep while your bub sleeps. It's a perfect symbiotic relationship.

Another important hormone released in both mother and baby during breastfeeding is cholecystokinin (CCK). CCK induces sleepiness, both in the baby and the mother. CCK release also happens when the stomach is full: it's what causes that drowsy feeling when you've just had a big lunch! In babies, sucking-induced CCK peaks at the end of a feed, causing them to feel sleepy or drift off to sleep. These lovely hormones, combined with the pleasure of sucking and a cuddle from mum, make a perfect infant-sleep-inducing atmosphere. Nature provided us with this clever concoction to help our babies sleep until they mature enough to do it on their own.

From: http://www.onlinebreastfeedingcafe.c...-to-sleep.html

Oh and 'snacking' is also great for babies, their tums are tiny, so little and often is great for them, and also great for your supply, as the more nipple stimulation you get, the more milk you will make for bub.

This site, Kellymom.com is awesome for all sorts of gentle breastfeeding articles and advice. Here is a good article about nursing to sleep.

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/comfortnursing/
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 05-06-2013 at 18:18.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Lansta  (05-06-2013),Little Miss Muffet  (06-06-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-06-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got told the same thing and I ignored the "helpful" advice. You need to do what feels right for you and your baby. My DS is 2.5 and we stopped feeding quite some time ago (although secretly when he's being hard to put down at night I sometimes wish I could still feed him to sleep)

Hopefully this doesn't happen to you but I lost friendships over this issue. I got told I'm just being stubborn and that I will regret it in the long run. I'm glad I was stubborn and I have no regrets. I will do the same thing with baby #2 too.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fed both my kids to sleep for the first year of their lives - in fact I have just fed my 15 month old to sleep now - it has not created any bad habits, both kids go to bed early and sleep all night, we are a calm happy family and I believe it is because I have just followed their cues and never listened to so called 'experts' on my child when it comes to when and how often to breastfeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good to know because I do this with my 5 week old and have no plans to stop it yet everything I have read says to stop it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 5.5 month old DS was waking up 4 times a night just wanting to comfort suck. It had become a sleep cue for him so anytime he woke through the night he'd want to comfort suck to get back to sleep. I love that I bring this comfort to him but I became ridiculously tired which is not good for me or him. So I had a hard few nights where I just rocked him to sleep (one night it took 2 hours!!). He now sleeps through the night and goes down ok.

In saying all that I'm a firm believer in following your mothering instinct. I did was I thought was best for my family, you should do the same.