+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preschool for shy 2 year old?

I've just started looking at preschools for my little girl, and I'm thinking of sending her when she turns 2. Does anyone else have any experience sending a shy kid to preschool or daycare that early? Do they tend to get more shy and withdraw or do they come out of themselves and become more confident?

I don't want to miss the opportunity to help her become a bit more confident but also don't want to do any damage and I'm just really stuck working out the best thing to do for her. She's a quick learner and would love the activities, but takes a little while to warm up to people (although she does feel comfortable eventually and really enjoys interacting with other people when they are familiar to her). She is better with adults than other kids. I don't know how she'd go in a big group of kids.

I'm leaning towards giving it a try for a term and pulling her out if it isn't working but am interested in opinions fro parents who have done the same and also those of you who are in early childhood education and have seen this before.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum sent me to daycare and preschool due to being so shy but it didn't work, I think she said I was around 6 when I finally came out of my shell. DD2 who is 4.5 years old has always been shy. She wouldn't talk with other kids instead hung with the carers at daycare(she went to daycare from 2years). She's now going to preschool and finally the past 2 weeks has decided to make friends, talk and interact with kids.
    So I think personally when they are ready they will come out of their shell and not be so shy. Perhaps a Kindy class or play group to be around other kids if you were only sending her to preschool for being shy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Mum did the same for me and had to pull me out as I was hysterical.
    I would look at doing a playgroup that you can go along to with her until she becomes more confident around other kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second (perhaps third?) playgroup. Cheaper for you, and less threatening for kids, having mum there. My DD was not shy, however when we started playgroup I really watched her grow socially, she really learned how to play with other kids. She was nearly 2. It's a good age to start.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app