+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default rice cereal and gagging

Iv just started DS on rice cereal, it's day 2 and he gags on it and pushes it out of his mouth with his tongue. i mix it with EBM. He sits up with us while we have breakfast and i offer it to him then. About an hr after his morning feed.

He's 5.5mths old i dont know if i should keep persisting or give it a rest. I personally dont feel he's ready for food and dont think he even needs it (he's a good weight, contend after feeds, doesnt sleep but that's normal, im told.
    I was going to keep him on it for a couple weeks then introduce BLW. But right now, he's not keen on the slop! it this common? How should i go about this?
    He's exclusively breastfed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesnt sound like he is interested yet. Could also be because it is so bland.
    My DD preferred it when it was mixed with some pureed pear or apple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS refused rice cereal at they age and to be honest I don't blame him! It's revolting and I've now learned it has no nutritional benefit! I left it a few weeks until he turned 6 months, it sounds like your DS is like mine an just not quite ready yet. A month or so later he was eating fruit or vege purée and raffetys baby porridge ( so much more appetising than the rice cereal ) I personally don't buy the BLW thing but I know others on here would disagree, it's what you feel is best but I wouldn't worry that he's not keen on solids just yet all bubs are different an food is fun before 1, he's getting lots of nutrients from the BF'ing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You say you don't feel he's ready, go with your feeling. From what you said he's otherwise content so trying again later seems like a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try something yummier. I wouldn't swallow that stuff either!! My DD had no interest in it but liked apple and pear and pumpkin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh have you tasted rice cereal? I would gag over it too lol.

I think you should wait and do the blw, especially as you think he's not overly keen on the solids as yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice. im kind of glad to hear some babies are just not keen on the stuff and its not just mine!
    i tasted the rice cereal and when it's mixed with ebm its actually very sweet tasting, i thought it would seem like a thicker version of breastmilk. I made it very runny consistency. i added the ebm for more nutrients as i know it's full of...well, nothing really lol.
    Think i will turf it and go with my instincts on this one. Id feel better after 6mths giving real food a go.
    I find it strange how some babies are onto food at 4mths like my DD was and some on 3 'meals' a day of solids already....im not comparing just amazed at how different each individual baby is.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Try again in a month or skip it alltogether and go straight to BLW.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Totally agree with pp, most babies are not ready until 6 months ( the current recommendation) spend the next few weeks reading the BLW book and you will never touch a purée again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Totally agree with pp, most babies are not ready until 6 months ( the current recommendation) spend the next few weeks reading the BLW book and you will never touch a purée again!
    I'll be coming up to this soon. What book are you referring to? I'd like to read it before I have to start. Thanks

Sent from my telecommunications device.