+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to start mixed feeding?

My daughter is 3 1/2 months old and I'll be returning to work when she's 6 months old. I want to continue to bf morning and night, but she'll be formula fed during the day. I'm wondering when I should start introducing formula, I know I'll have to do it gradually for my own comfort, but how gradually? I know she's fine with a bottle so that's not a concern. Any other tips you have would be great too :-)

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing exactly the same situation and was wondering this also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would gradually start doing it to get your LO used to formula and sometimes it might be trial and error with formula too.
    I started with night bottles first with all 4 of my daughters but because you want to keep your supply up at that time I would start with a feed after your morning one, so the one after you will be at work. Then each week or fortnight add an extra bottle. I would Try it at least a month out from you returning to work so by the time you are back your bub will be on day bottles and BF morning and night plus your supply will adjust to those feeds also.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Missie_mack I've been thinking about how to do it, do you think I should start by giving her 1/4 of a formula feed then finishing the feed with bf, then the rest of the feeds that day to be bf, then a few days later up it to 1/2 formula feed then finish with bf, and do it really gradually like that to allow my supply and her tummy to adjust?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing and bumping, I think I'll be facing exactly the same situation myself shortly. Hopefully there's some good tips out there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Subbing and bumping, I think I'll be facing exactly the same situation myself shortly. Hopefully there's some good tips out there!
    Well my bub is formula fed as per my original plan, and this is how I did it.

Day 1 - Made 1/3 formula (S26) feed for 2nd feed of the day, bub refused, played with the teat and spat it out. So breastfed for that feed.
    Day 2 - repeated day 1.
    Day 3 - mixed 80% BM with 20% formula for 2nd feed of the day, bub refused so I breast fed.
    Day 4 - less than 10% formula and the rest BM - still refused.
    Day 5 - different bottles (closer to nature), mixing BM and small amount of formula, still refused.
    Day 6 - bought Heinz Nurture formula (i had no faith in her drinking it so thought i'd buy the cheapest one i could find so i wouldn't waste so much money) and she took to it amazingly well, didn't even have to mix it with BM, she drank it straight! So I gave her a full bottle of that and expressed. Still using CTN bottles.
    Day 7-12 - bottle of formula for 2nd feed of the day, expressed about 20mL less then the day prior.
    Day 13-19 - bottles of formula for 2nd and 4th feed, expressing a small amount for 2nd feed and reducing amount expressed for 4th feed.
    Day 20+ - introduced formula for 3rd feed of the day, only expressed for the first day then was comfortable enough to do without.

She's now been on 3-4 formula bottles each day for about 3 weeks and she's doing really well. The luxury of her going 3 hours between feeds is awesome, can't believe how much easier it is to get out of the house rather than when she was feeding 2-hourly through the day. She's been a bit fussy at the breast at night this week but she's just sprouted her first 2 teeth so I think that could be the reason.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks J I've bought a tin of formula for just in case when I go back to work but I suddenly realised that if we have a problem getting bub to accept formula then I'm up the creek!
    So I've bought a tin and I'm going to slowly introduce it. Here's hoping it goes well.