+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not yet pregnant but this is a huge concern even now.
    My dog is a sheltie and if anyone knows the breed they will know they are high energy, vocal and my furbaby is very clingy to me.
    He is excited by kids. However went a bit crazy when my friend bought her newborn over.
    I know people say he will just know when baby comes along - but I do worry his energy will be too ott and he will be barking for hours on end when bub cries.
    He is a smart boy and well behaved but their genetics do mean it may be a bit more full on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley595 View Post
    We didn't introduce DS to our dog as such we just brought him home and went about our normal routine and didn't make a big deal about it our dog knew he was in the house (she is an inside dog) and for the months leading up to his birth we trained her to not go on or near his toys and mats and she was only ever allowed to sit outside his nursery never to go in it. DS is now 2yrs old and he is best friends with our dog they get along so well and are both really gentle with each other we have taught DS to be respectful of the dog and to give her space and couldn't be happier with their relationship
    Agree I also did this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to our vet before ds was born and they told me to get dh to bring home a blanket or piece of clothing that the baby has been wearing whilst you are in hospital and also when you come home let dh bring the baby inside while you go and make a big fuss over the dog. Once thats done then introduce bub to the dog. All went well for us

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sethysmum For This Useful Post:

LillyRose7  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup, Get your partner to bring home a blanket of something with bubs scent on it.

When you arrive home have your partner hold the baby and say hello to the dog. He has missed you while you've been away. Make sure hes knows you still love him.
    Take the baby back from your partner and hold her close, then pat the dog and say 'good boy/girl'. Then just go on with your normal lives.

For the first while dont let dog and bub alone in the house but dont yell at the dog if he sniffs bub, just keep an eye on it all. If dog gets too close or rough, just take dog away.

Please dont keep your dog away from bub, he will just associate bub with negative things then you will have a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So good reading how you all did it.
    Definitely want them getting along and being bffs!
    My dog is a very important part of my life - hence being with me all the time.
    I want it to be positive for everyone.
    Great advice !

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a dog behaviourist in Perth, Kathy Kopellis McLeod, who has written a book about introducing your dog to your baby, it's very good:
    http://www.kathysdogtraining.com.au/products.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First few weeks we didn't really introduce them as such, they saw us carrying him around and looking after him, and our girl always looked very concerned when he cried, like she wanted to make sure he was ok
    When he was a few weeks old we showed him to them but they were not allowed to lick or touch. They had a bit of a sniff and that was it. As he got older he just gradually started interacting with them more. He always liked looking at them and now he goes up and pats them and they give him kisses.
    They are really gentle with him and we've never had a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethysmum View Post
    I spoke to our vet before ds was born and they told me to get dh to bring home a blanket or piece of clothing that the baby has been wearing whilst you are in hospital and also when you come home let dh bring the baby inside while you go and make a big fuss over the dog. Once thats done then introduce bub to the dog. All went well for us

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is what we did as well

I didn't see my boy for over a week and he misses me so much when I am gone.

He loves her so much & is very respectful of the boundaries we have in place.

Only thing he didn't like was the crying when she first came home, he hid under the stairs hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moowisha View Post
    This is what we did as well

I didn't see my boy for over a week and he misses me so much when I am gone.

He loves her so much & is very respectful of the boundaries we have in place.

Only thing he didn't like was the crying when she first came home, he hid under the stairs hehe
    Our twe were the same. The newborn cry was an uncomfortable sound for them. They used to just go outside when it went on for more than a minute.
    We made sure the dogs weren't ever alone with dd.

6mths later she loves them, pats them gently and they lick her toes to say hello. It's really cute when the dogs come and lie down next to her during play time.